Go Back   CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners > Past CBR Models > CBR 1000F "Hurricane"
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-22-2013, 06:47 PM

Default early cbr 900rr wheels on my 87 1k hurricane

Hey guys... Have a question regarding these rims... They where given to me by a friend and I want to put them on the bike...the front is a 16" though and where the rotors mount is different that on the 17" of the same style... how would I be able to put it on the bike? would I be better off getting the 17" one? Also on to the rear...Would it fit my original swing arm? would I be better off swapping for another one and if so which one? Thanks for the help guys and if anyone has done this swap would appreciate your input...!!!!
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on CBRForum!
Old 07-25-2013, 07:03 AM
Senior Member & Lord of the Odometer (300,000 Mles) & Counting

Default cbr900rr wheels

Hey:

The rear will work but you need a newer swingarm, 90-00 CBR1000F, if you want the rear brake system to work from the RR, and an 900RR brake caliper, and CBR600 F2/3 caliper mount are needed as well, for an easier install.
Then get a VFR front wheel 90-94 and it will match the rear wheel and bolt on the rotors and bolt up with a spacer adjustment. So you need to get a 90-00 chain drive speedometer case. This eliminates the front drive speedo it all goes on the same axles. the 16 front wheel would be a lot of work for a crappy tire selection compared to the 17s. Look in my picture gallery as that is my current 17" VFR FRT/CBR900RR Rear config on my bike and looks great to me and works fine.

Good luck on your ebay hunt.

Dub

Last edited by CBR1988; 07-28-2013 at 11:24 PM..
Old 07-25-2013, 07:14 PM

All righty...will try to source those parts from my friend and see...Thanks bro!!!!!
Old 07-25-2013, 08:10 PM

Hey there buddy...just talked to my friend, the one who gave me the wheels, and he told me to keep the extended swingarm from the 900rr he took the wheels off of if it fits my bike... My question is if it can be fitted to my bike? It would be awesome to be able to have it, and is free...;-)
Old 07-27-2013, 05:03 AM

david.v.onselen

The CBR600F2 front rim also matches the 900 rear rim. I have a set on my CBX750. Works a treat. Front discs will bolt straight over.
Old 09-06-2013, 08:00 PM

Hey guys...Was looking at the 900rr swingarm and it measures identically to my original in with where it mounts at the frame, but the axle wdiameter is greater on the 900rr arm than on my 1000f. The shock mount is also very similar in position, only thing is the bcacket "style" is a little different. I have the 900rr caliper and rotor too. I think it can be made to fit if the axle/bolt issue is addressed and a "new" shock mount is welded in place. It would look sick...
Old 09-07-2013, 03:53 AM

david.v.onselen

Axle diameter is easy to get around, just change the wheel bearings. I did the same when I fitted CBR rims to my CBX. I think the CBX was 17 and the CBR 20mm. New set of bearings is cheap and always a good idea anyways.
Old 09-07-2013, 07:51 PM

Hello there... You are correct about the wheel bearing diameters...the only thing I would have to do is find the mounting bracket for the caliper and the original spacers to fit everithing in place...sweet, then Iwill obly have to really decide what front wheel to use...I already have the 16" original 900rr wheel so I think that for now that's whats gonna go in...Once I'm done with her Iwill post some pictures of the before and after, if I can find some of the before ones 'cause I had accidentally deleted a bunch of them on my phone!!!!! Thanks for the reply buddy...
Old 09-08-2013, 05:42 AM

david.v.onselen

Find a CBR600F2 front, it matches the 900 rear and lets you use 17 inch rubber. Most decent tyres you battle to find in 16in if they exist at all.
Old 09-08-2013, 05:42 AM

Tags
1000, 87, adjust, back, honda, hurricane, straight