CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Down shifts to 2nd on it's own

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2013, 07:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Down shifts to 2nd on it's own

On my '96 cbr1000f today I noticed that when I run 3rd gear up to about 8 or 9k and still push it it'll try to down shift to 2nd by itself. It's only done it a couple times but it's definitely not a good sign. I was told by one person that it's a sign that teeth have broken off of one or more of the gears so that'll cause it to slip back down when it begins to rotate at such a high rate, then I heard from another person that it could be a bent shift fork. I've never really messed with transmissions, except changing the filter in one in my old car and putting a shift kit it my old pontiac (with the directions it was actually very easy) so someone could tell me that there's gremlins smoking meth in there just kicking the gears around and I might take that as a possibility haha. Just throwing it out there to anyone that has experience with the trans on these bikes or has had a similar issue and figured it out, don't want to order parts and that not be the case at all. Thanks guys

Old 07-06-2013, 04:04 AM

I have a problem with 1st gear on my 90cbr1000f, if I push it, it will pop out of gear at around 5k and again around 9k. From what I researched on various forums for different models. I would bet it would be the shift fork. They aren't too pricey for this motorcycle and it can be done in with the engine in frame.

I don't plan on fixing it unless it becomes a problem under normal acceleration. I just shift early to second, which keeps the front end down and I don't spin the tire as much anyway.

Old 07-06-2013, 09:19 AM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My 93 used to do it if you soft changed up into 3rd and went wot.

Solution for me was no soft shifts - just kick it hard into gear all the way

Old 07-06-2013, 11:05 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

You may want to reposition the shifter to get the best solid shift.

Old 07-06-2013, 12:30 PM

If I shift it at about 7k or lower or just skip 3rd (when she's wound out it doesn't make a big difference) she's fine, but I figured I'd ask. I'm hoping it's just the shift forks, I'll just take it easy with 3rd for now and plan on jumping into this winter. thanks guys

Old 07-07-2013, 02:32 AM
Crazy CBR Salvage Guy. RIP

Is it actually dropping back down to second or dropping into neutral?

At 9k in third everything is starting to get a bit exciting and it would be quite easy to misdiagnose.

Old 07-07-2013, 08:26 AM

It's dropping back down to second, it damn near thru me forward off the bike the first time it did it and scared the hell out of me. The second time it did it as soon as I heard it and first felt it start to jerk from going lower at such a high rate of speed I pulled in the clutch, shifted up, and then it was back in 3rd so I shifted again to get to 4th. Now if I'm going to stretch it out on a straight away I just skip 3rd all together, puts me at about 7k in 4th so it really doesn't hurt me. I'm hoping it's just the shift forks but as soon as my uncle and I get our shop setup I'm gonna park it for the winter and start going thru it all. Start by pulling the shift forks and see if one of them is bent and then go from there

Old 07-07-2013, 12:10 PM
June 2013 ROTM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine would jump out of gear occasionally. Shift kit fixed it. 1000x better
cbr1000, 93-96, carb, jetting, tuning, factory pro, carb tuning, eddy current dynamometer

Old 07-08-2013, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by CorruptFile
Mine would jump out of gear occasionally. Shift kit fixed it. 1000x better
cbr1000, 93-96, carb, jetting, tuning, factory pro, carb tuning, eddy current dynamometer
I didn't know they made shift kits for these things, thanks for sharing. That's definitely something I'm interested in doing even if it shifted fine, just make it even better. I repositioned my shifter earlier. From where it was sitting it did seem that I would kind of shift it softly due to having to move my foot farther up than what felt normal and comfortable. The only issue I ran into once I got it down to where it felt right was the **** on the kickstand just above the bottom that you can catch with your foot to put it down was in the way, took a little effort to squeeze my foot between the **** and the shifter to get it where I need my foot to be. So to solve that issue I took a hacksaw to the ****, no longer an issue haha. I haven't gotten to try it yet cause it's fixing to start dumping the rain and there was a state trooper cruising the roads back in where I live earlier so I don't want to take the chance of him tagging me for doing 70 in a 25, but I'll update y'all when I get a chance to try it out

Old 07-12-2013, 08:42 PM

well on my way home from work today I was able to stretch her out some, soft shifting isn't the issue. Made sure I shifted hard, with the shifter repositioned it's easier, ran 3rd up to about 8 or 9k while passing some cars and it jumped back down to 2nd. It probably scared the s**t out of the car right next to me when it did but I had prepared myself for it in case it did it again. So I'm left to taking it easy in 3rd and skipping it when I'm stretching it out and I'll just jump into it this winter. I hate having to go 1 day without riding so the possibility of putting down for a little while to figure out what the issue is and fix it during the summer time just isn't going to happen

Quick Reply: Down shifts to 2nd on it's own