CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

cooling system

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 06:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cooling system

Well the alternator chain tensioner broke on my 95 with just over 10,000 miles on the clock. While debating on fixing this myself or payimg someone to do it i found another motor for $350. So i figure what the hell, i will put this one in and take my time and fix the origanal one. After i get the old one out and go to put the new one in i notice the coolant hose are totaly different. The old engine had one coolant line going in one side of the head and one line out the other side. The new one has a coolant line coming out of each cylinder but it has plugs in the head where the other engines coolant hoses are. Can i just plug the four individual lines and run the two larger lines? Its warm as heck here in PA and i'm ready to ride. Any and all help is appreciated thanks Shawn

Old 04-05-2010, 08:42 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A picture would help a lot, because I'm not exactly sure what you're talking about.
Are the 4 lines coming out of the head just above where the exhaust header would attach?
If so, I think they may be exhaust injection lines and not coolant lines. Some of the '95 models had a PAIR system that would actually inject air into the exhaust manifold above each cylinder to aid in combustion of exhaust gases. I think that may be the case with your motor.
If it is, just plug them off and hook it up like the old motor was.

I'm just guessing without seeing the motor, though. They are real small lines.... maybe 1/2" inner diameter lines?

Last edited by kilgoretrout; 04-05-2010 at 09:44 PM.
Old 04-05-2010, 09:06 PM

My bike is in my uncles garage so i cant get a picture right now. Tomarrow after noon i will get some pictures and try to post them. It sucks because the weather is awsome. What part of Pa are you from i am around Williamsport. Thanks for the help

Old 04-05-2010, 09:41 PM
Administrator - Retired

Gotcha... I'm down near Chambersburg. I've been to Williamsport many times, though.

Old 04-06-2010, 05:20 PM

I stopped to look at the bike. I must of had a tear in my eye after seeing the two engines were different and didnt notice some things. The old engine coolant lines come off the back of the head. The new engine has the passages on the end of the head and plugs on the back of the head where the old ones were. Now i think i can remove the plugs and put them on the ends of the head and run the system the way it was before. This just leaves me with the four hoses on the front of the head that i thought were coolant line but now i am not so sure. I am working on loading some pictures, probaly will have to have the kid show me how.

Old 04-07-2010, 07:59 PM

Ok well everything didnt go as planned tonight. I pulled the coolant pipes out of the old engine to put in the the new one and no go different sizes. The first picture should be the old engine with the coolant pipes coming out of the back of the head which through searching i believe is normal. The second picture should be the new engine with the coolant passages coming out the end of the head. The third picture should be the front of the new engine with the four hoses i'm not sure of. I forgot the casting numers when i left the garage but i'm almost posative it came up as a 95 when i checked the first time but now i dont know. I am going to keep looking through parts diagrams to see if i can find the right pipes i need. If anyone reconizes what i am working with please let me know.

Attached Thumbnails cooling system-car-020.jpg   cooling system-car-024.jpg   cooling system-car-025.jpg  
Old 04-07-2010, 09:51 PM

I see the problem - it's a Cali bike engine!!

Old 04-07-2010, 10:14 PM
Administrator - Retired

I see the problem - it's a Cali bike engine!!
That it is.

Tug, the 4 pipes in the 3rd pic just need blocked off. I used bolts and band clamps to block the hose ends. They are part of the PAIR system I mentioned earlier.
However, the two lower chrome ones should be the cool water inlets from the radiator.

The hole on the right side of the new motor's head is indeed a coolant hookup. Hot water out of the block. It should connect with another hot water out from the other side of the head. They join and go to the thermostat/radiator. You're gonna have to get the connections somehow.

Last edited by kilgoretrout; 04-07-2010 at 11:42 PM. Reason: more info, then spelling...lol
Old 04-07-2010, 10:32 PM

http://fiche.ronayers.com/Index.cfm/...Group/RADIATOR

Part # (in no particular order):

27, 20, 21, 25, 23, plus any o-rings or hose clamps

Old 04-07-2010, 10:41 PM
Administrator - Retired

Haha! I was just looking it up on Mr. Cycles to post up. Very nice, malbojah!

I linked it in case it ends up any cheaper.....

Quick Reply: cooling system