CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Coolant thread

Old 06-02-2013, 03:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant thread

OK we've had the oil thread so how about the coolant thread

I read the label on the coolant bottle I bought last year and it clearly states "suitable for most vehicles built after 1998" !!

I've been using a general coolant for cars and bikes but now I obviously need to pay more attention to what I buy.

You guys any idea why a statement like that is on the label, any particular additives to avoid etc...?

John

Old 06-02-2013, 03:58 AM
Super Moderator
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Here's my guess John, and I'm prepared to be shot down!

1998 give the coolant manufacturers a clear date for cut off regarding older, more problematic vehicles. That is the older the car the more likely its cooling system is not going to be up-to-spec and therefore give problems. Saves grief for the company??

All I know about coolant is, make sure you thoroughly flush the system before changing coolant types. Keep the mix right, levels right and run a coolant expansion tank.

Cheers, SB

Old 06-02-2013, 04:02 AM
Super Moderator
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

OK, I'm going to shoot myself down!!

Interest got the better of me so I did a search, came up with the following.

"Therefore you should ALWAYS use the antifreeze recommended by your car's manufacturer, or one that meets all of the specifications laid out in your vehicle's handbook. Antifreeze should always meet minimum recognised quality standards such as BS6580:2010 or ASTM D 3306 (one of which should be written on the packaging).
As general guidance, cars made after 1998 normally require antifreeze that uses silicate-free, organic acid technology (OAT), which offers superior corrosion protection and does not need to be changed as frequently as 'traditional' antifreeze.
Cars made before 1998 usually require conventional antifreeze that isn't OAT-based and does contain silicate. Again, always use your vehicle's handbook to verify this."

Apparently it OATs

Cheers, SB

Old 06-02-2013, 05:05 AM
Banned

I use the Mobil 1:1 anti freeze mixed with distilled water. I never have any dramas with over heating.

Old 06-03-2013, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by Sebastionbear

Apparently it OATs

Cheers, SB
Thanks SEB Off to get my OATS!

Old 07-04-2013, 07:41 AM

I believe it has to do with the antifreeze being compatible with alloy (aluminum) components in the engine.
Any current antifreeze is compatible so no worries there.
My 2 cents-- I use peak 50/50 premix. Pour and go.

Old 07-04-2013, 11:00 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm using local stuff so no idea what's in it
I think using distilled water helps a lot with corrosion too. I've not had a coolant problem except for a blown T piece a couple of years ago when replacing the thermostat.
I use 50/50 mix. Having said that it doesn't get cold here like most of you have in winter.

Old 07-04-2013, 05:31 PM
Track junkie & modaholic

I use water wetter and distilled water. Seems to work great so far, keeps the temp down a lot for me. Makes warm up times a bit longer.

Old 07-04-2013, 05:56 PM

I use the Red coolant (NULON) premix..... green is good for veh's with copper / brass radiators however your bike's cooling system & engine is mostly aluminium

Red is Ethylene Glycol / deminerlised water 50/50 mix with OAT " organic additive technology" ( alot of people bitch about paying for 50% water) however alot of people get the mix wrong and destroy water pumps as well.

Green is just as good it's just old school M.E.G "mono ethylene glycol" however it doesn't have the 5 year lifespan of RED.
cheers pete

Old 07-04-2013, 07:15 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just converted to Water Wetter. no antifreeze needed here so hope to see lower temps.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Coolant thread