CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Coolant Tank (the one under the seat behind air intake)

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 10:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Coolant Tank (the one under the seat behind air intake)

Can anyone tell me if there should be a hose from the tank filler/overflow cap into the coolant. If there should be one, it wasn't on the bike when I bought it. Cheers. Slaps

Old 06-07-2010, 11:19 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

No hose needed-

Old 06-09-2010, 10:15 PM

Thanks Shadow, appreciate your input, Cheers, Slaps

Old 06-11-2010, 10:23 AM

I am not doubting you Shadow, but I found this recently. There was a hose in the tank on my bike, it had fallen off of the nipple on the lid. I figured that could be why my bike runs hot. I figured it was sucking air into the radiator instead of coolant. I haven't ridden since discovering this so I don't know if it helped. Just asking you opinion.

Shadow is probably busy for an hour or so, till someone scores a goal.

Old 06-11-2010, 10:29 AM

Wow that is crazy!!! A goal just as I sent that message. Goooo RSA!!!!

Old 06-11-2010, 11:56 AM

If you fit a hose to the rubber cap and it goes into the fluid, you run the risk of having green crap all over your swingarm - ask me how I know
Pressure comes down the lower tube, and pushes fluid out of the top - green gunk on the swingarm. No tube, no pressure. Fluid has time to stabilise temperature-wise.
My bike has no hose on the rubber cap, doesn't run hot, and as long as you keep the fluid clean you should never have a problem.
RSA1
Mexico 1
Fair result - could have been worse.

Old 06-12-2010, 04:52 AM
Wink

Why do you suppose Honda make a filler cap with and end on it that makes it look like it needs a hose????? When I initially looked, I thought it was like my Subaru which draws through the filler.......until I discovered there was a sneaky hidden hose behind everything packed in the frame and that in fact was the main connection between the rad and the coolant tank. Great to live in a democracy, all so many differing views. However, I think Shadow is correct. Cheers Slaps.

Old 06-12-2010, 08:24 AM

I think Honda. like most manufacturers, tries to standardise on some parts, although their applications may be different. Maybe that's the case here.
BTW, slaps, wait till you have to replace that bottom hose - I did a couple of weeks ago - the upper bolt for the bottle goes through the side of the battery box and if it's seizes (mine was) you either have to remove the battery box AND the waterbottle together to get it out or cut the battery box..........
Your overheat maybe because your lower hose is perished (mine was, at the radiator cap) and you could be losing water there, under pressure. I was..............

Old 06-13-2010, 08:52 AM
Smile

I took the bottle out a short time after wondering about the filler cap & hose. I got lucky because I was able to jam a small flat blade driver with a long shaft and jam the nut in place. But I can see your problem. It's not the easiest to get at. My hose was OK, but the tank was full of what looked liked slime from a stagnant frog pond. It took some effort but I got it spotless by the end. Cheers Slaps.

Old 06-15-2010, 06:19 AM

Good morning, put a hose but put it cut halway so it does not touch the bottom, this way when the pressur is on, it won,t act as if the tank is full and spit out the overflow.

just a trick!

Quick Reply: Coolant Tank (the one under the seat behind air intake)