CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Coil problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2012, 09:50 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Check your wiring coming up from the (2) pulsers on the left crank under the left
crank cover - to me sounds like somethings amiss there potentially

Let me quantify that a bit further

check the wiring from the pulsers to the CDI (Spark Unit) rear right fender and then
from there on up to the Coil Pack.

You'll find a wiring Diagram and other good related info in the Stick Coil thread
https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-1000f...-138495/page2/

Name:  wiring.jpg
Views: 5076
Size:  105.7 KB

Old 12-23-2012, 11:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Checked all my wires, and wire plugs from the pulser unit to the icm and back to the coils. I even put some dielectric grease on my plug terminals. Still no juice for my little girl. I'm thinking tomorrow I may take the cover off the pulsers and see if everything looks intact at the actual wire connections, etc. I don't really know what I'm looking for but obvious wire breaks or shorts. I do have a couple manuals that I downloaded from here and I have printed the ignition pages and harness diagrams out. I don't want to become a "replacement part" mechanic to troubleshoot, but I'm thinking I'm running out of options.....

Old 12-23-2012, 11:37 PM

after thought to my above post...

The bike has a brand new starter solenoid, (I think that is what it is - next to the battery case on the foot brake side of the bike), and I have turned it over using a screw driver to jump the screw posts as well as using the start button. My start button needs replacing as I have to wiggle it to engage. I was also going to trace and possibly bypass the kickstand safety if that could be a possible culprit in my no spark problem.

Shady

Old 12-24-2012, 04:28 AM
Crazy CBR Salvage Guy. RIP

Originally Posted by shady8240
when I put the test light on the back of the coils, I get a bright light when I touch the #4 plug on the back, and the #3 plug on the back. (I touched the tester to the plugs on the back of the coils while they were plugged in) When I touch the #2 and #3 plugs on the backs of the coils, I get a barely visible dim light. The only change that occurred when I did this while turning the starter over was that the two contacts that were bright slightly pulsed. The two that tested dim did not change at all while engaging the starter. I have downloaded the service manuals and I am going through those to see if I can narrow down the culprit. From what I have read I'm going to start looking at the ICM and the pulse generator. I have to see if I can find my multimeter and then figure out how to do the proper tests.

I am assuming that I bought a bike that someone else couldn't get running and it seems as though they could not get spark either. Any suggestions or short cuts to narrow this down would be a much appreciated.

Thanks,

Shady
I make no pretense that I am any sort of auto electrician, but looking at that part of the diagram there appears to be some sort of commonality in the circuits for 3 & 4 (which also connects back to the kill switch).

Maybe that could be a bit of a clue for someone that knows more about the dark side than I do?

Best of luck.

Attached Thumbnails Coil problems-diagram.jpg  
Old 12-24-2012, 07:30 AM

I was reading a thread today about a guy rebuilding a GPZ600R after someone else had bodged the loom. He had a lot of trouble getting it to turn over from the start button.

There was a lot of conversation about ensuring the side stand cut out wasn't, the kill switch wasn't and in the end it was an earth issue. To be fair he changed the Rectifier as well as the starter switch. You mention the start switch is dodgy. is it worth disassembling and cleaning up with WD40. I did this to the mirror switches in my car once and the electric mirrors worked again for the first time in 7 years.

Given how straightforward it is to bypass these switches and run your eye over the loom for loose earth wiring, it might be worth an hour of your time to do this and try to get a spark out of the coils.

tick off the easy to eliminate issues first is all I'm thinking?

I will get a 12V tester purchased here and replicate the test you mention if it helps - but not for a couple of days. (Shops shut for some Christian holiday thingo) I cant turn mine over though as the Alternator damper is currently out of it.

O

Last edited by oml67; 12-24-2012 at 07:38 AM. Reason: Additional Info
Old 12-24-2012, 10:59 AM

Thanks much guys, I greatly appreciate the assistance! I will also definitely post in the how to's when we get this thing resolved.

I pulled the pulser cover today and found some more interesting evidence. The "magnetos", for lack of a better word or knowledge of the right word, look brand new under there. I don't know if that is because they have spent their life under cover or if they were previously replaced by the previous troubleshooter. Still no spark, next I'm gonna try cleaning the switch up as you guys have suggested, and then maybe order a new ignition control module. I still havn't traced the kickstand kill switch, and that is also on the agenda today. I'll keep posting the updates, and again, I really appreciate the help.

Not for nothing, but if anyone finds themselves heading to the keys, or if your wanting to know anything about vacationing here, please feel free to hit me up. For some info, or to stop by for a cold one, either one. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Shady

Old 12-24-2012, 11:37 AM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Shady if your bike is a MK1, I don't think they had the side-stand switch.

Old 12-24-2012, 12:16 PM
Default well that makes sense...

They may explain why I can't find that switch - It shows it in my manual that I downloaded, but not finding it on my bike. Thanks

Now my impatience is trying my frustration...... Looks like I need to walk away from her for a day or two before I start buying stuff I don't need, lol.

Old 12-24-2012, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by hawkwind
Shady if your bike is a MK1, I don't think they had the side-stand switch.
Agreed. My 87 has no side stand-cheapskates. But one thing ticked off already!!

Old 12-25-2012, 09:40 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"My start button needs replacing as I have to wiggle it to engage."

I'd start there next and your ignition switch etc.

Quick Reply: Coil problems