CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Clutch slipping after 7k RPM in every gear.

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2013, 11:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch slipping after 7k RPM in every gear.

Bike in question is a 1990. I'm having a slight issue that's actually quite perplexing. Just as the title says, my clutch slips in every gear, but only right around 7k rpm. From idle to 7k, it pulls like a freight train- in 1st through 6th gear. I'm new to hydraulic clutches, but does this sound like an adjustment issue? Is there even an adjustment? To rule a few things out, it has proper motorcycle oil in it, and no matter if I'm going uphill or down, it slips at 7k. EVERY. TIME. I've been spending the majority of my last few weekends fixing everything else from the previous owner, but this one has my mind boggled.

Thanks in advance for your help.

John

Last edited by burbleburble; 07-15-2013 at 12:11 AM.
Old 07-15-2013, 03:35 AM
Welcome Crew

here`s a few things to check

no air in the system
piston on the clutch cylinder is moving in and out free and is clean (may need a overhaul)
the push rod is not damaged or bent

Old 07-15-2013, 04:56 AM
Crazy CBR Salvage Guy. RIP

Max. torque is achieved at 8k rpm. Maybe 7k is the point that engine power starts to overwhelm clutch plate wear?

Old 07-16-2013, 12:59 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree with Teeks
Mine does it at almost the same revs, especially when cold, especially in the 4 5 and 6 gears
It does improve when the oil gets to operating temperature, but I'd say you need at least new friction plates in your clutch. I know I do
Takes about 2 hours to replace them and not expensive.

Old 07-16-2013, 01:59 AM

if its not the clutch, check this, my 99 f4 did the same exact thing and it was a clogged fuel filter. i checked by temporarily running with out a fuel filter for a mile or so just to test until i put a new filter on it. if thats the case with yours you might want to get an aftermarket 40 micron clear fuel filter for carbs at any auto parts store, its a clear tube about a couple inches long, has a white plastic looking replaceable screen in it. its about 9 dollars. i did that because the small amount of rust and trash in my tank was clogging up the 30 micron oem filters every oil change. i tried the cheap three dollar fuel clear filters and found that they dont work good at all, they are too restrictive and dont allow the correct fuel flow.

Old 07-16-2013, 04:43 AM

Gotta say, my interest has been piqued. Would never thought of changing a fuel filter to cure a slipping clutch.

Please explain the mechanical theory that set you off in this direction?

Old 07-16-2013, 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by Shadow
Mine does it at almost the same revs, especially when cold, especially in the 4 5 and 6 gears
In the higher gears, you are not only having to deal with maximum torque being developed, but also waaay higher volumes of air having to be shifted to allow your bike to continue its' forward progress.

It all adds together to find the weakest link, perhaps worn friction plates, or maybe a dodgy fuel filter?

Old 07-16-2013, 12:57 PM
Senior Member & Lord of The Man Cave
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There's an edit feature if you want to change something in a post that you don't want anyone else to read.

Old 07-16-2013, 01:25 PM

You sounded like you were accusing me of putting BS on here. I'm not a bull**** shooter. The fuel filter was clogged and staved my carbs of fuel at higher rpms and the engine was hesitant after 7k-9k rpm, which I thought was a slipping clutch at first. BTW I've been working on these bike for 23 years now. I don't put anything online unless its my actual experiance. Lol, Geez..there will always be someone who loves to question and start a debate with all kinds of tech and theory crap in the middle of a topic. I'm sick of reading topics trying to find help and seeing where people start arguing and debating on here is all. Hope you get it fixed buddy.
Rj...go ride your ten speed. Lol

Last edited by cBrentb; 07-16-2013 at 03:07 PM.
Old 07-16-2013, 05:36 PM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cBrentb
You sounded like you were accusing me of putting BS on here. I'm not a bull**** shooter. The fuel filter was clogged and staved my carbs of fuel at higher rpms and the engine was hesitant after 7k-9k rpm, which I thought was a slipping clutch at first. BTW I've been working on these bike for 23 years now. I don't put anything online unless its my actual experiance. Lol, Geez..there will always be someone who loves to question and start a debate with all kinds of tech and theory crap in the middle of a topic. I'm sick of reading topics trying to find help and seeing where people start arguing and debating on here is all. Hope you get it fixed buddy.
Rj...go ride your ten speed. Lol
Don't get upset mate, everyone on here just wants to help and we appreciate that you want to as well. But I must admit to also being a bit puzzled by your post, without the subsequent explanation.

Quick Reply: Clutch slipping after 7k RPM in every gear.