CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Clutch Issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 07:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch Issue

Hello Now have ridden my bike for @ 1000 miles getting 48 mpg runs excellent not so good note small tip-over due to some soft pavement
. Issue I have now is the clutch is slipping!!! When I start out on morning commute works fine easy shifting good accell when I am almost to my work @ 26 min of a 33 min commute, I hit 3rd gear and accelerate the engine hard , the rpm will speed up about 2ooo rpm from 3000 and when I back off immediately it returns to 3ooo,
On my ride home which involves rush hour some stop and go , The slipping seems to come sooner @ 15 min which I think is probably heat related . The clutch seems to hold till about 4 or5000 rpm which after it gets warm and gets more noticable. The engine has only 3000 miles on it The cooling system seems to be working fine no over temps and fan works as needed I am using Rotella t-6 synthetic oil Engine has 4-1 header carbs rejetted k and n air filter coil mod, shifter mod, timing advance mod , The engine seems to be running very well and with no load will hit red line with no problem.
Could the the clutch springs be weak? discs/plates glazed? Oil is the problem? suggestions needed

Old 07-26-2013, 08:31 PM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi rlneson5,

I'm assuming what you describe is that the engine speed increases, but the bike (travelling speed), does not?

You say the engine has only 3000 miles on it? Are we talking about a CBR1000F built between 1987-1996?

Not too clued-up on US oils. Is Rotella t6 synthetic oil specifically designed for bikes? If not it may contain friction reducers which will stop the clutch from working properly.

As the engine gets up to normal operating temperature, the oil will loose viscosity (get thinner), and as bikes use a 'wet clutch', this will affect the operation.

Old 07-27-2013, 07:55 AM

Hi Thanks for the reply. It is a 88 cbr 1000 and it is slipping as you described , I had down some research on oils to use on this forum and thought that the Rotella regular and synthetic T6 were recommended for this engine. Is there a mc specific Rotella T6?

Old 07-28-2013, 08:43 AM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Way back when ..........

I ran synthetic in my 90 and it glazed up and did what yours is doing

Went back to Rotella Diesel oil ( lately my diesel oil of pref' is Delvac)

In any event the clutch stopped breaking loose under heavy power as a
result

Sometimes stock clutches (originals) with weak springs and worn/glazed
linings don't play well with synthetics

Old 07-28-2013, 09:16 AM

Thanks for the reply
I just changed the oil to the t5 regular oil and will see if it improves, Installing the VFR handlebars so no road test yet. On another note , I live in Minnesota and yesterday on July 27 the temp was 58f !! What a strange year of weather its been .

Old 07-28-2013, 09:23 AM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You are right 82 here midday yesterday this am pizzing rain under 60

Was due to go deep sea fishing yesterday - that got chitcanned - 6 foot seas 30 miles out

It may take an oil change or two before the plates become unglazed !

If it still does it - you need ( or let me say I'd recommend ) new friction plates and a set barnett HD clutch springs

Old 07-29-2013, 08:27 PM

Thanks for the reply, I have changed oil to Rotella T5 and first test drive seemed to be fine Hit 9k for the first time .
On my regular commute today though, I got some slippage again so it looks like new plates and springs will have to be installed,
Is there a particular clutch plate that's recommended?. Are the Barnet springs better then the oem or ebc or vesrah? I suppose I will need a clutch gasket too .any thing else needed? Thanks

Old 07-30-2013, 05:43 PM

Ok I have bought the Barnett clutch hd springs and friction plates, 122 dollars for both , After I change to these parts would i still go with the reg oil [Shell t5] or synthetic [Shell t6]Thanks

Old 07-31-2013, 10:02 AM

Hello there Randy,
I'm having a similar issue with mine as well. However, i used Honda's engine oil. I don't know what the recommended oil change interval is. I did my oil change last year and kept my bike in a garage; however, the garage is humid and very hot. I don't know if such conditions could cause the issue stated above by Sprock.

Anyway, I wanted to see if you have instructions on how change the clutch springs and frictions plates. If you do, could you share them? I'd like to do this on my bike as well.

I want to venture and do an oil change and see if that helps as well as a clutch fluid bleed. Thanks

Old 07-31-2013, 08:24 PM

Hi and welcome to the forum . I know there is a article on clutch change . Check that out in the How to section. My bike was stored for many years and engine was pickled , I changed oil when i stated working on it to rotella 6 after looking at this forum. I turns out that I should have used T5 oil instead, I changed oil but my slipping clutch has continued ,The engine has only 3000 miles That,s why I ordered the clutch parts. As for oil change intervals I usually change oil and filter

every spring

Last edited by rlnelson5; 07-31-2013 at 08:26 PM.

Quick Reply: Clutch Issue