CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Charging Problems with 90 1000FL please help!

Old 09-26-2010, 12:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Charging Problems with 90 1000FL please help!

I have a 90 CBR 1000FL that im having problems with the charging system. I love this forum and try to do my homework before i ask stupid questions but i'm sure for most this is one...
anyways i read about the reg/rec is a common problem when its not charging so i decided so take a look at mine. Well sure enough mine was fried to the point that the connector had melted itself to it, with a little work i was able to separate the two from each other. My first question is does anyone know of a aftermarket reg/rec that includes a new connector, or do they all and this is one of those stupid questions? Secondly if my reg/rec is melted this bad does it mean the alternator is toast too? anyway to check the alternator while i'm waiting for a new reg/rec to get here? any advise/help would be greatly appreciated, thank you
P.S. I live in Salt Lake City, UT

Last edited by skier4life; 09-26-2010 at 12:46 PM.
Old 09-26-2010, 12:09 PM
Senior Member & 2010 ROTY
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HERE is the place for the r/r. I don't know what side of the pond you are on. hopes this helps for the r/r

Old 09-26-2010, 07:37 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The RR 23 form Electrex that indy linked to is "THE" one to get.

It comes with a new plug too ....with a slightly different configuration

Don't cut off your old burnt up plug until you get the new one ...make's
it easier to move pin by pin to the new plug

Complete instructions will be included ...... any issues when you get it
PM me ...be happy to help ya out installing it .

Great R/R from these Guys

Also do yourself a favor get a new gel style battery chances are the old R/R
has overcharged & cooked the old one !

Last edited by Sprock; 09-27-2010 at 09:33 PM.
Old 09-30-2010, 06:52 PM

Ok so i got the new Rec/Reg in the mail today i didn't go through electrex i found one in the states instead. The box it came in says tour max high performance on it...? anyways i wired it up and took the bike for a spin. I rode for about 5 miles then checked my battery voltage, right around 13volts with the bike off, but the new R/R was pretty warm i couldn't touch it for more than a few seconds with out having to take my hand away, and i am a waiter so I'm used to touching hot plates( I like to think i have a bit of a tolerance to heat in my fingers) so my question is on a 80 degree day is it normal for the R/R to be this hot? i rode for a total of 40 miles checking it every 5 to 10 miles same thing not any hotter nor colder and no plastic burning smell just hot to the touch. The bike itself has always ran hot even with the fan hardwired, and the thermostat removed for the warm months. When i got home i check the voltage again and it was right there at around 13 again so it seems to me its doing its job.. I'm just wondering is it supposed to be that hot? does it mean some else is wrong? any ideas anyone?

Old 09-30-2010, 06:57 PM

OK here's what you need to do. Go out and check the battery voltage with the bike off. OK your reading is???? then start your bike up, let it idle say 20-30 sec. your reading with your bike idling (1000rpm's) is??? Then rev your bike up to or over 3000rpm's your voltage reading is??? The reading should be taken while the bike is at over 3000 rpm's. Let us know these reading will help out alot.

Old 09-30-2010, 07:04 PM

1) Did you put in a new battery after the old R/R systematically boiled up the old battery ??

If not any new R/R will heat up like crazy trying to charge a "compromised" older battery
I had to replace the R/R and my older cooked battery at the same time. Otherwise the
R/R would have had a limited lifespan and my stator might have started losing field coils in
the process as well

2) They all get hot quite hot anyway but the difference between the US ones and the UK ones
is the ability of the UK one to dissipate that heat because unlike the US ones the
UK Electrex one has a honking great heat "sink" around it ....... It's frikken huge

This is just my experience based on what happened to my 1990 1000F last Feb/March

Last edited by Sprock; 09-30-2010 at 07:13 PM.
Old 09-30-2010, 07:12 PM

Heat "sink" which dissipates the heat away from the electronic inerds.

Old 09-30-2010, 07:19 PM

It's a round and round deal with these Indy ....... battery gets weak , older R/R burns out
trying to charge bad battery.

Bad fix : Just change R/R only ........ that can take out the stator "the next oldest weakest link"
and your new R/R will feel like a toaster strudel and you know what happens when
the toaster gets left on for too long ! sniff sniff

Good Fix : R/R and Battery together

How it was for me ! never looked back since

Last edited by Sprock; 09-30-2010 at 07:24 PM.
Old 09-30-2010, 07:29 PM
Question

I think if we had alittle more info we could tell what is really going on too.

Old 10-01-2010, 09:34 AM

Ok here is the readings you asked for... the battery was new in june so its only 4 months old i never had the battery acid drain get low, i did have a kill switch problem right before this and would drain the battery trying to start it, but i replaced the switch and trickle charged the battery every time it got low. When i check it this morning with the bike off the volt meter read 12.8 after letting it idle for a bit i check it with it running(my headlight is always on no way to turn it off...) it read any where from 13.8to 14.2 then we i rev it up to about 5000prm the voltage jumped between 14.9-15.2. I was reading some of the pdf's in other posts about R/R and that seems right in the range maybe a little high. im gonna go put some more miles on here before this damn desert sun heats up she runs much better in the morning than the afternoon...anyways thanks for everyone's held and advice keep it coming!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Charging Problems with 90 1000FL please help!