CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

chain engine

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2015, 03:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so I must say that your explanation is not really clear... could you tell us exactly what you did.. step by step.

because the guy from the link used a screwdriver to pry under the tensioner arm to loose chain and he managed to get the alternator damper out (together with a gear).. your solution seems to be different....

Old 06-23-2015, 04:42 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

To extract the alternator is necessary to remove the nut in the cockpit under the starter. Removing the nut, the alternator comes out with the whole tree, leaving in the motor with the spool housed the chain, a washer shims of 5 mm and a shim thickness of one millimeter, followed by gear conduit in contact with the starter. In order to remove the chain from the spool it is necessary to deform a tab. This tab is one of the two shoulder that acts as a guide to the chain. That done I dropped the chain into the well under the cup after removal of the oil pump. The nail with rack which pushes the hinged chain tensioner comes completely out, and after a day of vain attempts to reinsert have changed. I took a bolt MA 6x60, partially threaded, I reduced the thread of a centimeter, I have included the original spring and the window of the alternator I inserted in place of the old nail with rack. From underneath the engine I screwed a nut to hold it all. A welding point to avoid disassembly of the nut. The chain fell in the well of the engine comes out of the oil pump in the accommodation, I laddered and replaced with the new chain. I tied a wire and traced the new chain in the window of the alternator. I mounted the spool housed with the chain and folded the tab of the tensioner. I reinserted the alternator with the gear and the two thicknesses and I put the tree in the spool. I pushed the shaft on the bearing and the nut mounted in the cockpit under the starter motor. I reassembled everything and restarted. When inserting the new chain tensioner it must be modified held back with a clamp otherwise tensions the chain and you can not insert the shaft of the alternator in the bearing. Regards

Last edited by walivabuc; 06-23-2015 at 04:47 AM.
Old 06-24-2015, 02:54 AM

OK thank you.... one way or another it can be done.... thanks..

Old 08-03-2015, 02:32 PM

looks I am going to be the next one..

oil pump chain is a piece of cake, the guides are in a very good shape...

Old 08-04-2015, 01:47 AM
Welcome Crew
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Photos are great, hope to see more as the job progresses (although close ups of your nasal hair are not really needed...hehe)

Old 08-04-2015, 02:57 AM

not my hair by the way...

I am not sure I will be able to break this chain if you look at the shape of the pins... they are so small comparing to the regular cam chain. This is not about that it can't be done now... it can be done but how to close the links effectively on the new chain...

Old 08-04-2015, 03:35 AM

You must remove the small oil pipelines, they are pressure, tubing largest unscrewing the two bolts with a 8mm wrench, and the strainer. After you remove the three bolts of the oil pump. This fact can be seen in the oil chain and the chain of the alternator. These will come out from the crankcase and you can easily remove them. The chain of the alternator is a bit annoying to reassemble, lookout for internal inserts that must be remounted with the semi circles in contact with each other. It is a walk. To reassemble the spool on the new chain of the alternator is required to bend the tab of the chain guide. After you care to fold its original position. When remount the two small pipes to pressure, you have to mount the O-ring or on accommodation of the pipe and not at the site of the hole. When remount the oil pump the interlocking position it at six, so it is easier to insert the coupling. Good job

Last edited by walivabuc; 08-04-2015 at 03:58 AM.
Old 08-04-2015, 05:11 AM

Be careful when you open the lock of the new chain of the alternator. You must remove two pins, remove the cover lock, then you must remove the two half bearings, be careful to their position. The design of the section is composed of a semi-circle (which is in contact with the semicircle of the padlock) and a flat part which is placed in contact with the flat part of the inserts that make up the chain. A little patience and reassemble. Ciao

Old 08-04-2015, 07:44 AM

This is a fit of the CX500 chain on the damper.... it is a bit too tight there.... but who knows perhaps it could even work...

Old 08-04-2015, 10:10 AM

The chain of 500 cx not good, has pace and different does not fit on the gear. In Italian retailers apply prices that are Januaservice 40 euro for the oil pump and 108 euro for the alternator. The retailer cmsnl has cheapest prices.

Quick Reply: chain engine