CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

chain engine

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2015, 01:30 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default chain engine

I have set in motion the my cbr 1000 f 1987 and the engine proved noisy. I consulted a honda mechanic who suggested I replace the chain and tensioner distribution. I performed the work but the typical noise of the chain remained. I consulted again honda mechanic and advised me to replace the two smaller chains mounted on the motor shaft. To perform the job told me that you need to go down and open engine. Now I ask the readers that are practical: you can run the job by removing the under oil cup? I can work on the chain tensioner? excuse my english bad. thanks

Last edited by walivabuc; 05-11-2015 at 01:45 PM.
Old 05-11-2015, 03:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Soon I will be trying to change the oil pump chain through the oil pan. From what I see there is a bit of likelihood that I will manage...

Last edited by bc30se; 05-11-2015 at 11:48 PM.
Old 05-12-2015, 02:26 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Using standard Honda oil chain you cannot replace the chain without stripping the entire engine. Same problem if the tensioner on the oil chain goes, which is what I think is your problem.
If you replace the chain be sure to replace the tensioner when the engine is stripped.
If you can find an oil chain with a split link you will be able to do the replacement, but so far I haven't found a manufacturer who makes one.
If you find one, please let us know.

Old 05-12-2015, 04:31 AM

You can always break the oem one and rejoin it again..

Old 05-12-2015, 05:33 AM
Super Moderator
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by bc30se
You can always break the oem one and rejoin it again..
Please keep us informed on your progress. I think you would be the first (by my research) to do it!

And photos please!

Cheers, SB

Old 05-12-2015, 12:08 PM

Small problem, for me great. How do you figure out if it's the oil pump chain or chain generator to make noise? Normally the chain can be opened with the chain unravels.It is also possible for this or not there is space by removing the oil pan and the relative pump? thanks

Old 05-12-2015, 12:18 PM

YOu won't know until you at least look through the pan I believe. The task is really tedious and a bit expensive. The bike has a lot of bits on it, comparing to my old CX it is like a walk in the maze without an exit...

That's not the worst I am afraid, I think if the chains get shot it's like honda wants to tell you, don't repair me, just buy a new bike. I am very scared of what I am going to see even if I decide to lift the crankshaft out, what if I see half worn plane bearings there? Am I to buy new ones or simply dispose of her?

The cost of repair may finally equal half the price of a newer bike... but that's just the choices...

Last edited by bc30se; 05-12-2015 at 01:08 PM.
Old 05-13-2015, 05:28 AM

The work I have to do it alone without help. So cost zero. The honda does not provide for the replacement of the distribution chain open. To replace the upper chain, with an open and rebound, coast an hour's time. To replace it, as recommended by Honda, it is necassario dismantle the bike. So to replace the bottom chains I will use the same method. I do the maintenance and not the honda. The chain is built in pieces and how it is constructed so will open and replace it. The board was requested only by those who had carried out the work with the mode "economic". there is someone who has done this kind of work? thanks

Last edited by walivabuc; 05-13-2015 at 06:19 AM.
Old 05-19-2015, 04:45 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've replaced the starter clutch on my bike. The only way to get to the oilpump/alternator chain would be from the oil pan - there is no place to work behind the alternator, even with small hands. The chain is also under tension from a tensioner behind the alternator (this part often fails)
I have not removed a link from the oil chain but if you can do it successfully, it will be the first time anyone on this forum has done it in the 10 years I have been here.

Old 06-04-2015, 06:43 AM

Oil pump chain replaced without opening the engine. I disassembled the oil pan, I opened the new chain with the chain unravels. I disassembled the gear pump, I opened the old chain and the thin metal wire I connected the new to the old. I entered high gear and turning the wheel back I changed the chains. I closed the shirt of the new chain, I reassembled the gear pump and I restarted. The noise was not complaining that the oil pump chain but the generator. I'll have to dismantle everything. greetings

Quick Reply: chain engine