CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

CBR100FK Clunk! - Starter/Transmission Jammed.

Old 11-01-2012, 03:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CBR100FK Clunk! - Starter/Transmission Jammed.

Hi there.

Please could anyone give me any clues as to why my 1989, 4294-mile, mint CBR1000FK has jammed the starter solid, locking up the transmission? Any idea where to start the stripping and inspection procedure?

After extensive fuel system cleaning, I previously started the bike successfully just once for about 30 minutes. It probably hasn't been started before this in around 3 or 4 years by the looks of things. Anyway, it ran beautifully, but then on re-starting the next day (possibility of hydraulic lock in chamber overnight as smell of petrol), the above happened on thumbing the starter button.

Many thanks

Old 11-01-2012, 04:38 PM
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

You sure your not just trying to start her in gear ?

Old 11-01-2012, 05:05 PM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 11-02-2012, 06:07 AM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Moved to hurricane section.

Old 11-02-2012, 06:32 AM
Crazy CBR Salvage Guy. RIP

Check battery voltage, a couple of years ago my old girl made some very scary noises; was simply low battery voltage.

Old 11-02-2012, 07:45 AM
Super Moderator
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Firstly, nice picture of a plastic insect TK

Now iPedro, I think you may have nailed it in your original post.

For your description, I ythink petrol has leaked into one or more of your cyclinders giving you a hydraulic lock. Make sure it is out of gear, pull the spark plugs then see if it will turn over.

If petrol gushes out of spark plug hole (probably the cylinder nearest the petcock), you need to repair/replace the petcock. They work on a vacuum principle and if the seal leaks with no vacuum, petrol fills a cylinder or two. Liquid being incompressible leads to lock when you start to turn it over.

Let us know how you go.

Cheers, SB

Old 11-02-2012, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by wes 17
You sure your not just trying to start her in gear ?
LOL

If only Wes - but thanks for asking!

Old 11-02-2012, 03:27 PM
Smile

Originally Posted by Sebastionbear
Firstly, nice picture of a plastic insect TK

Now iPedro, I think you may have nailed it in your original post.

For your description, I ythink petrol has leaked into one or more of your cyclinders giving you a hydraulic lock. Make sure it is out of gear, pull the spark plugs then see if it will turn over.

If petrol gushes out of spark plug hole (probably the cylinder nearest the petcock), you need to repair/replace the petcock. They work on a vacuum principle and if the seal leaks with no vacuum, petrol fills a cylinder or two. Liquid being incompressible leads to lock when you start to turn it over.

Let us know how you go.

Cheers, SB
---------------------------

Hi Sebastion.

Plugs were out first thing.

The transmission is so badly locked up that it feels as if the engine is seized! Rear wheel will only turn when not in gear. I aint attempting another thumb before checking out the starting gear.

I've never heard a clunk quite like that on any engine before let alone one that has only 4000 miles up, and even less so a Honda. The clunk - and subsequent jamming of starter motor, etc - occurred only on thumbing the starter.

The bike is new to me and was supplied as a non-runner. After a comprehensive carburettor and fuel tank, fuel **** clean/overhaul/complete strip-down, I had run the engine just once (it's an absolute beauty!) before I re-attempted a start (hydraulic lock probably exacerbating any problem with starting gear chain tensioning through standing for such a long time in storage?...)

The next step is strip-down inspection. The 4 or 5 folks I've already mentioned this to do seem to point towards the starter/alternator train/sprag mechanism.

So I believe the next point of action could be left side engine uncovering, starter chain disengagement and check turning of crank by hand/socket to determine whether it's starter train or engine timing chain! Something is seriously not right in there. Following this, I believe removing the sump and getting my head right in there might be an option before considering engine inspection?...

I am confident of doing the job myself as long as removing engine and splitting cases is not involved.

Just wondered if anyone has undergone similar work like this or can add a few pointers before I start the work. Unless all hope is lost, a bike shop is not coming near.

Much appreciated
Pedro

Old 11-02-2012, 05:11 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by iPedro
---------------------------

Hi Sebastion.

Plugs were out first thing.
Good one on Sebastion, nice start to de-bugging.

When 'mock' bump starting with plugs out, will she turn? If not, could be trapped between gears, as in bent forks.

I'd 'mock' bumb her because you say she turns in N.

If she turns, put plugs in and try to bump her. If she runs, could be starter clutch or chain or starter itself.

Last edited by TimBucTwo; 11-02-2012 at 05:14 PM.
Old 11-03-2012, 05:06 AM

Thanks Tim
(but she does NOT turn in neutral - only the rear wheel will turn in neutral - engine/starter/whatever still locked in or out of gear)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: CBR100FK Clunk! - Starter/Transmission Jammed.