CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

CBR1000f fuel injection??

Old 08-28-2015, 01:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read the whole thread and found nothing on the subject apart from discouragements that it is going to be too hard for an ordinary mortal...

So I will only say.... the only difficulty that the conversion presents is in the coil pickup. Once you sort it out, the job can be considered done.

You don't have to be a doctor of science, laser cutting is just a customer service now, all you need to do is to know corel draw a little bit or autocad. Fuel pump? you can use an external one from a car, pressure output is the only thing that matters - tons of it on the market...

there is more than a bunch of people who use motorcycle injection systems on small engine cars successfully and they are just ordinary people with no NASA capabilities.

Depending on how long I am going to keep mine, I will be looking for the possibility of such an upgrade but even if I don't manage to, the job is not as hard as you suggest...

Old 08-28-2015, 08:19 AM

bc30se,

You make a good point that it's only time and money to make a custom-fabricated system, but one thing no one has mentioned is the fuel mapping. I seriously doubt any stock ECM from an existing bike FI system will be mapped for the older 1000F with it's lower compression ratio and older, short intake runners. In addition to the tank, fuel pump, FI bodies, ECM and mounting boots/clamps with adapters, you'll also have to factor in a Bazzaz or Dynojet power commander or other device that allows you to alter a stock fuel map. Then, when all that's installed, at least one trip to a shop with a dyno to get it running at idle, and then the fuel mapping customized to run great through the entire RPM band. I've had a power commander on my previous RC51, and while it was easy to connect a laptop and load a new fuel map file, it was hit or miss if it worked unless you had the bike on a dyno to verify. Riding it often resulted in a case of "power up top, but runs worse at 4k RPM", and back to tinkering with the fuel numbers.

Old 08-28-2015, 11:37 AM

Perhaps you are right with it, but... I am almost sure you will be in the sweetspot if you use CBR XX parts for the swap. Mind that you can always find room for improvement even in the oem ECUs... they are not perfect.. so even if you find yours (after the swap) far from suiting your needs, it doesn't mean it would be any better if you were to buy it new with the FI on.... they could have the same imperfections that you would have to sort out for yourself as you tried to do..... and that's what tuning is generally for...

Sonda lambda system however might solve a lot of problems with air/fuel ratios... not sure if the CBR XX had one...

and I am surprised that the motorcycle FI system is not able to correct the idle values if the ecu can read at least engine rpm.....no matter what engine it is on, it should be able to sustain idling and correct fuel amount per cylinder to keep idling stable. Again if the map for idling is like permament and not adjusted in real time to the engine rpm output, no wonder a FI bike with 20k miles on it has problems idling properly - it's just primitive and makes me think to use a small car ECU which can react to any "abnormalities"

Last edited by bc30se; 08-28-2015 at 01:10 PM.
Old 08-29-2015, 07:06 AM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Microsquirt? And a non electronically controlled air idle set of TBs?

(Haven't read the entire thread)

Theres a guy who wired up an xs650 for EFI - and that thing ran on points originally! It can't be too difficult. A lot of oil boiler gixxers have been converted over too

Old 09-04-2015, 07:01 AM
Crazy CBR Salvage Guy. RIP

Sometimes you just have to accept that; what it is, is what it is.

No-one would praise your technical ability if you managed to screw fuel injection, ABS brakes, traction control, and cruise control onto an an Ariel Square Four.

I'm sure it could be done, but why would you?

Old 09-04-2015, 10:24 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by bc30se
I read the whole thread and found nothing on the subject apart from discouragements
I don't think anyone is saying not to do it but rather, why do it? I personally don't see huge gains for all the effort put onto such an undertaking. It would be much more favorable on the wallet to put a bigger sprocket on the rear and up the jetting. If someone is hell-bent on injection it, why not turn it into a 2-stroke EFI and get so much gains that the frame can't take it. There is no end to it.

I demo'ed a V-Max last week, 197 hp worth of V-Max. Not fun to ride. At 55 mph, rolling the throttle a wee bit off the throttle stops had it shooting up to 70 mph in a flash. I was in a 45 mph zone and I kept hitting 70 with out trying. There is a thing where to much is to much. If I wanted bigger gains, I'd get the vehicle designed to do the job. That V-Max will smoke any 1kF injected or not.

Old 09-05-2015, 03:37 AM

Individual needs don't go in hand with sheer practicability... 1kF is enough for me too but she is an old baby and it's not like adjustments will always help. She is just shabby here and there and in some areas modern improvements like the injection would make her really smooth. The price is in fact reduced to our effort and not as was said something almost impossible. If you can offer me a NOS carb for 50bucks I will of course dump the idea... but if not, I will consider spending like 150bucks for the whole injection from the XX and have a good time fitting it on the F because why not?

Last week I was using the colortune sparkplugs on mine to adjust the pilots, the carb is clean and looks shiny, the seals are there and nothing seems to be worn. Why hell she runs lean all the time? was she like that when new? I suppose not.... I am 3.5 turns out now and she still has problems revving down. The plugs look nice after riding

and tell me I have to clean and adjust the carbs and put new repair kits on. You will make me laugh... it is just another quirk of an old lump.

It's like... whether there is any sense for an owner of a classic porshe to fit modern brembo brakes from a modern car and you say no

Last edited by bc30se; 09-05-2015 at 02:15 PM.
Old 09-05-2015, 10:54 AM

Why hell she runs lean all the time? was she like that when new?
The answer is Yes and No. Due to emissions they (all bikes) were set-up lean to pass to DOT regulations. The 2-stroke got a big 'F' on that report card and went by-by. So in stock configuration it was slightly lean (129 mains) but was still top dog for top end at around 176 mph until the Bird took the title. So the answer is a soft yes.

Enter ethanol. Ethanol requires more fuel to burn properly. So now we have an answer of no.

To counter both lean conditions I went larger on the jets. The only engine mod I have currently is a K&N air filter. I am happily running with Main 135/piolt 45 with 2 1/2 turns out. I also did the stick coil mod because it creates a much hotter spark to light off the E-gas.

You can get the jets at CarbJetKits.
Here is the stick coil LINK.
Stick coil how to LINK.

The jetting and coil mod ran less than $100 usd. HUGE upgrade in how she runs.
You could still fuel inject it but the bird was manufactured before the E-gas so, trying to map it correctly may not be a easy as a simple re-jet.

Last edited by TimBucTwo; 09-05-2015 at 11:00 AM. Reason: The first keg kicked last night and had to switch over.
Old 09-05-2015, 01:56 PM

Friend, mine is a switzerland version and it has 45 pilots since new. EU fuels are not E yet.... still switzerland one has a fuel enrichener in the pilot circuit..

Last edited by bc30se; 09-06-2015 at 03:39 AM.
Old 09-05-2015, 04:16 PM

Friend, mine is a switzerland version
Some euro models have carb restrictions to keep the hp down. It involves smaller diameter carb rubber boots to restrict air flow. Do you know if you have the normal ID sized boots or the restricted ones?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: CBR1000f fuel injection??