Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 04:02 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

um I ebaymailed them 4 weeks ago and told them specifically the same

and got the usual brainless response saying they'd check it out - lol

they are 100% straight railed Gen 3 plastic capped Carbs

Old 08-20-2012, 04:04 PM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pmcg
Those must be mislabeled they are not 88's they look 93 or newer.
I agree, I have a spare set of 93/4 carbs and those look the same.

The big give away is the black tops

Old 08-20-2012, 04:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well a guy came to look at the bike. He offered $800. I won't take less then $1500. I put too much into it and have new parts inside. I'll just save up to fix the carbs myself. It's a good learning platform.

Old 08-20-2012, 08:50 PM

I don’t usually post here but I always stop by to read and this time I have to share a story. Let me tell you, I understand your frustration! A couple years ago I wanted to get my 1KF back on the road again, but after sitting for several years she ran terribly. I replaced parts and rebuilt the carbs, but it didn’t help. I rebuilt them again. Nothing seemed to work. In the end I decided to completely clean the gas tank of all the accumulated rust and take the carbs apart one final time, soak every piece in cleaner, and figure out what the heck was going on once and for all.

This was when I finally found the shredded and degraded remnants of those little plastic filters Honda used in the carbs. And the tiniest pieces of rust/gunk clogging some of those pilot jets. And the other crap that also affects performance (if you look in the bowls and at the parts themselves you’ll probably see examples of yellowed build-up, oxidation, etc). In some of those jets and circuits, stuff YOU CAN’T EVEN SEE can and will affect performance: ESPECIALLY when we’re talking about bikes that get stored away for months or years at a time (and with different gas formulations and additives than when they were first built 20+ years ago!), this stuff matters… and I had missed it during all of the previous rebuilds.

In all I must have used at least 5 cans of carb cleaner. I unwrapped some electrical wire to get at the thinnest strands of soft brass wire I could find, and used it (carefully) to get into and clean the smallest jets. I cleaned, re-cleaned and lubricated every removable part in the carb itself. I installed an in-line fuel filter between the tank and the carbs. It was a long weekend.

The result? After synching, a bike that ran better than it did when I bought it. This summer I also added the coil-on-plug modification and I swear it runs and revs even smoother than when it was new.

As a bonus, by doing all this I effectively ended up teaching myself how the carbs worked . I can remove them, take them apart, rebuild them and replace them in under an hour with basic tools. Can those F/I guys do their work themselves? We have no complicated electronics, fuel pumps, pressure lines, etc on our bikes, yet they will easily keep up with all of those modern fuel-injected bikes you’re thinking about now in real-life circumstances (and do it cheaply and comfortably).

My advice (which is obviously biased) is to keep it, learn how to love it (fix it and maintain it properly), and enjoy a long, reliable friendship with a classic bike. If you do you'll find, like many of us here, that she's a pretty tough standard to compare any other (even modern) bike to!

cheers,
Aaron

Old 08-21-2012, 02:31 AM

That's awesome advice! Thanks for that. I will take my carbs apart. I just don't know how to sync them

Old 08-21-2012, 02:34 AM

The sync is the easy part. If you can turn a screw you cand sync the carbs.

Old 08-21-2012, 05:14 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Talk to Naga about carb sync or Pat or I'll even give you some guidelines meself so I will
(they are good teachers)
A good set of carb sync guages are a must though, buy or borrow - they will pay for themselves over and over.

The following users liked this post:
CBR1988 (08-22-2021)
Old 08-21-2012, 07:31 AM

where is the best place to get a good sync kit? i dont know anyone that has one.

Old 08-21-2012, 10:19 AM

I can send you mine if you promise to love it as if it were your own. Pm me your address

Old 08-21-2012, 10:58 AM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I think Aaron brought up an excellent point in that the carbs are just one component of the entire fuel system. Even cleaned and rebuilt they can be clogged again if there's crud further up the line.

So it's important to learn to think "system" and not to target just where we think the problem might be

While you're waiting for tools or parts to arrive for the carbs. This would be the best time to inspect your gas tank and filters

Last edited by wooferdog; 08-21-2012 at 11:01 AM.

Quick Reply: CBR1000f fuel injection??