CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Can I ride a cbr 1000f ????

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 03:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Can I ride a cbr 1000f ????

Hi

When I was 15 a BSA B31 kicked back on me and smashed my knee to bits.

I carried on with motorbikes on and off for 30 years mostly Brit bikes. BSA and Norton. My last bike was a 250 Kawasaki triple -didn't like it though...

Anyway haven't had a bike for 20 years. My knee deteriorated so badly couldn't ride a motor bike or even walk very far.

Last July found a surgeon up for the job and had my leg reconstructed and a false knee fitted.

Wow -bike time!!!!

I can walk fine but my leg wil never bend as much as a natural one. Have looked at new bikes and they are not made for tall men like me 6'3" especially not with false knees.

Don't want a Harley or an adventure bike. I want a sports tourer.

Also I love 80s 90s bikes and really like the 1000f.

Two problems

1) Can I ride a hurricane with limited leg bend - around 110 degrees.

2) will it scare me to death? Last bike. Rode was a 250 Kwacker.

I will have a retraining course first.
Any comments appreciated,

Peter

Old 01-22-2013, 04:59 PM
Super Moderator
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

G'Day Peter and welcome to the CBR Forum,

I hope you can A lot of motorcycling history there and I'm sure getting back on a bike would be great.

There is a website that has a motorcycle ergonomics widget that allows you to look and compare all sorts of bikes for your 'suitability'.

Motorcycle Ergonomics

I took the liberty of searching out the CBR1000F

As you can see (for an average - say 5'10") rider the knee angle is 71 degrees.

By 110 degrees I assume you are talking about, you can bend your knee 20 degrees more than 90 degrees. Measuring from above the knee.

The angle stated on the website is the angle from the back of the leg. If that all works in my head, that means you will just do it. However, you have to take your height into account.

Best bet, would be to find a bike and take it for a test ride.

Good luck and I hope you fit. They are a fantastic bike. Take it easy with the throttle and it won't scare you to death. But be aware the bike's weight is about 240kg which is a bit heavier than most other bikes on your list.

Cheers, SB

Last edited by Sebastionbear1; 01-22-2013 at 05:01 PM.
Old 01-22-2013, 06:01 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice find with the ergo website. Another thing to muddy the water is to consider lowering the foot pegs. A few members have fitted Buell or other pins with success.

Old 01-22-2013, 06:18 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Right , Buell , Cycle Pirates , Vario to name but a few - even still you could have a
custom dropped set made by a good machine shop and maybe have the shifter peg
dropped down a bit even if it needed some welding and machining too.

Hope you find something that works well for you Peter

1000F's a great bike and since you've got some riding history there I'd say you'd find
yourself back in the groove easily enough.

Taking the basic class/course is a smart move. Hope we see you all kitted out with a
"new" Hurricane soon.

Post up your location when you have a chance.

edit

Forgot to add

Oh yeah and one other mod you can have done is to have the seat foam redone
higher and in a "level" bench style as opposed to stock stepped style - that way you got
more height and can sit further back getting the most comfortable angle for your
knees however then adjustable bars become a factor unless you have just as long arms

Old 01-22-2013, 07:43 PM
June 2013 ROTM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is there one for sale that you are interested in locally? If so, try and take it for a test ride.
As the great Canadian Alt-rock band Sloan puts it "If it feels good do it, even if you shouldn't"

Old 01-23-2013, 04:46 AM
Banned

Hi Peter and welcome aboard. The 1000F wont scare you. It will certainly make you think chit these old bikes still have some go in them but giving it some throttle wont throw you off the back....lol. Something like a Blackbird, Hayabusa or a ZX-14 would scare you but these bikes aren't anywhere near those. I also have a Blackbird and can speak there from experience. If your physically able to handle sitting on the 1000F, GET ONE. You will love it. They are a fantastic old machine and as long as they are maintained will give you years of enjoyment. That's my two cents anyway. Good luck.

Old 01-23-2013, 05:39 AM
Crazy CBR Salvage Guy. RIP

+1 on Bordo's comments. I have also done the whole Kawasaki triple experience in a previous life, if you didn't like the 250 that much: I can absolutely assure you that the 750 version was on a whole different planet.

CBR 1000?: so much faster than the old 750 triple ever was (by a huge margin), but also much more respectful of rider input.

They are not scary, unless you ask them to be!

Absolutely capable of insane, "lose your license" velocities, but also very happy to pottle along at the posted limit at 45 mpg.

I think the main thing for you will be the comfort level; like an off the rack suit: if it fits, buy it.

There is probably no-one in this part of the Forum that would say they have ever regretted their consumer choice.

Old 01-23-2013, 06:14 AM
Default Great input

Hi

Great info. The ergo info is great. I will copy it into Sketchup and put myself on the bike!!!!

I have been trying to go and see some but the nearest one is a 2 hour drive.

I can make or modify the foot pegs and seat if necessary as I have access to a machine shop and spent 10 years making parts for old cars when I was younger.

I am in the UK in Cornwall working at the moment but will be back in Blackburn, near Manchester at the w/e where there are lots of bikes to see.

There is this one in the road I live in Honda CBR1000 FT 1995 / N LAST MODEL LINKED BRAKES GREAT RUNNER UNUSED 12 MONTHS | eBay

This is a late bike which is better but a bad colour because I prefer more race colours red or blue.

Like the 1000F because it looks like a sports bike but more rideable from what I've read.

Peter

Old 01-23-2013, 06:22 AM
Crazy CBR Salvage Guy. RIP

Yeah, have to say, that's not the worst motorcycle I've ever seen in my life. Go for ride, if it fits, go for it.

Old 01-23-2013, 06:24 AM

Good to hear enthusiasm

Quick Reply: Can I ride a cbr 1000f ????