CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Can Battery acid go bad?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 10:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can Battery acid go bad?

So I bought a new Chinese battery for my bike today that came with own bottle of acid to be added before use. The only problem I have is that there was not enough acid included to fill all 6 cells to the upper level as the instructions call for. WTF. Anyway, I found an old container with acid that was left over from an previous battery install. The container was plugged pretty good so I think it's clean, but I have no idea how old the acid is. It could easily be 4 or 5 years old, maybe older, maybe much older. Is there any problem with using this old acid to complete filling up my battery? I need an answer quick. I'm in the middle of this.

Old 03-30-2009, 10:11 PM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

The quick answer is that the acid must be "topped up" with distilled water.

Battery electrolite (fluid) is NOT all acid. The electrolyte is made up of 35 percent sulphuric acid and 65 percent pure water.

Ref for overview: http://www.rpc.com.au/products/efn/e...ries_care.html

=============================
"For most typical motorcycle batteries you will need around one litre of "acid" ."
http://www.mdsbattery.co.uk/shop/pro...ctGroupID=1038

Last edited by Naga_Thai; 03-30-2009 at 10:36 PM.
Old 03-30-2009, 10:56 PM

The instructions say to fill each cell to the upper level with electrolyte, let it sit for 1/2 hour, then refill again with electrolyte if the level falls, then charge the battery and THEN fill with distilled water if the level falls after charging. Anyhow, you didn't answer my question. I'm not topping off. I'm doing the initial electrolyte fill, but the battery only came with enough to fill 5 of the 6 cells. I want to fill the sixth cell with way old electrolyte. Is this a problem?

Old 03-31-2009, 12:06 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If kept in a sealed container it should be fine - I've done it with no adverse reaction.

Old 03-31-2009, 03:28 AM
November 2009 ROTM

The "Curse" of the cheaper China battery............I come unstuck a few times using the cheaper brands.Flat-charge-Trickle-Distilled Water= A battery full o Moonshine.

Get a decent brand,cost will outlive all the dramas of having an inferior product.

Temperatures in YOUR area will play an important part of the life of the Battery.

Old 03-31-2009, 04:39 AM

I got 1 of the cheap chinese batteries off ebay for 1 of my other bikes and its def a false economy, honestly it only lasted about 4 weeks before becoming useless, get a branded one, costs a bit more but u will save the extra cost

Old 03-31-2009, 01:49 PM

Well I used the stored solution, charged my battery overnight, installed it, and my bike started right up- and was noticably cranking faster than it has in awhile before catching. Anyhow, the battery I replaced was Chinese and lasted about 2 1/2 years- and I'm notoriously bad at maintaining my batteries. I was wheelless without my bike, and I got the battery at the third closest auto parts store to me- the closest two didn't have the right battery for my bike. There are no cycle dealers (expensive) close to me, and I didn't really want to order online cause that would have kept me off the road for another week. Anyhow, I got the battery from Pep Boys (a large auto parts chain in these parts) and it has a 90 day warranty and was cheap, $35 plus tax, cheaper than anything I found online, including ebay. So, I've got my fingers crossed, and I'm happy right now, especially since I'm back on the road. Now it's time for a ride.

Last edited by pacojoseph; 03-31-2009 at 01:52 PM.
Old 03-31-2009, 02:37 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't worry so much about cheap - or chinese - I've had very expensive batteries go bad (Usually just out of warranty) - the weather and temp where you live will have more effect - Extremeties in short periods of time murder a battery.

Very hot days and very cold nights are the worst

Happy Biking

Quick Reply: Can Battery acid go bad?