CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

cam chain tensioner-again

Old 08-02-2005, 04:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cam chain tensioner-again

I have a cbr 1989 with a cam chain rattle at start up. The posts suggest either a servicing (clean up) of cam chain tensioner so that it operates correctly or preload the cam chain tensioner by adding washers. Does anyone have any advice on which course of action is best and if it is the latter then is the mod process straightforward?

Old 08-02-2005, 03:25 PM
Default RE: cam chain tensioner-again

Best advice:
JUST CHANGE IT

Old 08-04-2005, 04:17 AM

Replacing cam chain tensioners is no cheap option when you throw in cam chain and guides. What is the lifespan of this part before I am faced with the rattle again? is it a short term solution with a big price tag?

Old 08-04-2005, 01:13 PM

Depends on you, If you change oil and filter on time.. I suppose about 40k miles, if not shorter. Some have no problems with it. I changed only the cam chain. The tentioner is okay. Only the chain was stretched.

Old 08-05-2005, 07:37 AM

thanks for the reply

I think that the cam chain has been replaced but the tensioner is probably the original (113,000ks on the bike). I am going to open it up as I don't like rattles and i guess i can have a look then. Is there a vfr tensioner that may fit the cbr that may work better?

Old 08-07-2005, 05:14 PM

Sorry, no idea...

Old 08-10-2005, 06:34 AM

My '90 has 75tkms (46miles) on it (or 175tkms who knows ) and she rattles on low rpms. I already replaced the tensioner, but it did not fix the problem, althoug the noise is not that bad now. I will replace the chain this winter, maybe new engine bearings and rings too.

Just my €.02 --- if youre going to it and you will tear down all the fairings, tank, valve cover etc, do your self a favor and replace the chain and tensioner together.

Old 08-10-2005, 11:34 PM

Good grief, you know I have posted on this quite a few times myself...

I noticed a 'rattle' the last time I rode, and it was after a good 20 mile stretch and I started to pay attention. Now since I have not changed my oil in the time I really like and the tensioner is hydrolic, I'm going to wait and see if the oil change will help or remedy the issue. I have approx 2,100 miles on the oil in my bike now. I only like to run between 1,500 - 2000 miles on my oil. And this issue use to only happen at startup. If the issue continues, I will definately change the cam chain and tensioner just because. Its not worth messing up a perfectly good motor because of a worn out component, ya know?

Oh well, I think I'm gonna go check it out now.. Gotta do what ya gotta do.. Hehehe

Old 08-14-2005, 06:51 AM

I don't think I will be too quick to get in there and replace the cam chain tensioner as I have read that even replacing with a new one has not fixed the problem for long. My research suggests it is a flaw that dogs all the cbr 1000f. Is there anyone out there that hasnt got this problem?

Old 08-15-2005, 09:08 PM

At 46k, I am going to adjust my valves soon. When I have the valve cover off, how does one measure chain stretch and the cam chain tensioner? The Honda manual shows how to take off the cover. And it shows how to take off the cams and cct, but doesn't show how to inspect it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: cam chain tensioner-again