CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

cam bearings

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 04:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy cam bearings

I bearing cap'm looking for a right side, exhaust cam, bearing cap. The parts places make you buy the hole the hole head. My bike is a 87 hurricane 1000f. I'm sure other years will fit. I think up to 92. Any help would be great. Thanks Ernest. You can respond here or my email. emcklc@yahoo.com Thanks again.

Old 03-19-2011, 05:19 PM
Senior Member & tensioner mod inventor ROTM WINNER FEB 2013

There's loads on fleabay right now Ernest.
Search CBR 1000F.
Some guy in the US is selling lots of parts. You're sure to find what you need there right now.
I hope it's just the cap you need and not the whole head. Unlikely you've got damage to one side of the bearing surface only.
What happened?

Old 03-19-2011, 07:12 PM
Default cam bearings

The valve cover bolt was broke off in it, and trying to get it out just made it worse.It was a ****ty day

Old 03-22-2011, 06:53 PM

Those caps are machined to fit only your head so either you can fix the broken bolt or you will need to replace the head. You see the caps are line honed and that's why they are all numberred and oriented. Each cap only fits one way and to one spot in that head. There is a way to put another one on, but it involved precision machining and the head has to come off for that. Post pics maybe someone can suggest a way to fix the bolt hole. I know this is not what you wanted to hear but it is, what it is.

Old 03-22-2011, 10:03 PM
Very Honorable Most Senior Member :)
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmmm. When the cover came off my '91 1K I found one cam bearing cap had obviously taken from another engine. Three labeled 'intake', one labled 'exhaust'. Not only that, one of them had a cracked oiler passage. Being a cheap person, rather than replace the head I cleaned the broken cap thoroughly, used some two part bonding material to repair the crack, and put it all back together. The mended cap is checked frequently - well, once a year anyway - and still is doing well. The day may come when I'll have to put a different head on, but until then I'll just ride it.

Of course, it's possible the previous owner went through the process of line boring and fitting. Anything it possible, isn't it?

Old 03-22-2011, 10:36 PM
Ride of the Year ... Just Ask The Boys

That's what i found last pulling the caps off the the gentleman above, 1 exhaust and 3 intakes.
Bike was running great, all 4 caps in excellent condition and no damage to the cams themselves.

I would find it hard to believe that honda would make individual caps as against mass producing them.

But i also could be wrong

Aussie Johnno

Old 03-22-2011, 10:48 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

They are as mentioned, line bored and honed. It's the only way to get a straight run of holes at close tolerances needed to cushion the cam in a film of oil. You may get lucky and find one close but you are taking a chance. You need a close fit in all bearing surfaces for good oil pressure.

Last edited by TimBucTwo; 03-22-2011 at 10:52 PM.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:09 PM
Ride of the Year ... Just Ask The Boys

So does that mean to do the job to perfection a complete new head would need to be installed?

Aussie Johnno

Old 03-23-2011, 11:41 AM
Very Honorable Most Senior Member :)
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A new head would be one way to handle the situation. Or, a used head in good condition.

Before doing that you could check clearances to see if everything is within specs. According to the Honda manual they are:

Inner cam bearing (farthest from the cam drive gear) .0008" - .0024", .020 - .062 mm
Outer cam bearing (closest to the cam drive gear) .0020" - .0036", .050 - .092 mm

Or you could just check the oil pressure: 85 - 100 psi., 588 - 866 Kp @5000rpm 176 deg. F / 80 deg.

If your oil pressure is within specs you can assume the rod/main/cam bearings and oil pump are okay. If low, well, it could be any of the above and you can start by checking out the cam bearings. They're the easiest to get to.

NOTE: This is internet advice. While I'm fairly experienced as a mechanic you might want to check it out with others on the site and maybe a local professional before accepting it as gospel.

Last edited by DRam; 03-23-2011 at 11:46 AM.
Old 03-23-2011, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by Aussie Johnno
So does that mean to do the job to perfection a complete new head would need to be installed?

Aussie Johnno
No, you can fix the exisitng cap too, can't you? Or get a bunch of use dones and start measuring. Might get lucky and find one that's in spec but for that, you will have to measure the bore and that will involve some precission tools and a know how?
Your best bet at this point is to salvage the existing cap. Take a pic and let us see how bad it really is.

Quick Reply: cam bearings