CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Broken Link Blue's

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 09:23 AM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy Broken Link Blue's

Hi there Guy's.

Thought I'd give the chain a good clean up and lube today , but found this

The other links look like this........

So I'm guessing it's time for a new chain!!

Shame really , can't find any tight spots and there doesn't seem to be a lot of wear on the chain with plenty of adjustment left in it

Sneaky little break as well 'cos it's on the side of the chain that is closest to the wheel , felt it before I saw it.

Never done a chain before , can you let me know what special tools I'll need and any other advice both for the actual job and on quality of tools.

Thanks in advance guy's

Old 05-11-2010, 09:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you need a grinder to take that one off. then you need the rivet link tool to put a new master in.

here is a hint, DON'T TAKE THE OLD CHAIN OFF. use it to feed through the new one. if you want to make life easier on yourself then just get a master link with a clip instead of the rivet link. i'm doing this because i plan on annual chain changes.

Old 05-11-2010, 09:55 AM
Senior Member & 2010 ROTY

Don't forget to do those sprockets too. You need one of these, Chain Breaker and Riveting Tool to do the chain.

Old 05-11-2010, 10:19 AM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's a dam good thing you found that, Steve!! What kind of chain is that? That should NEVER happen.
Yep, you're gonna need a chain breaking/riveting tool. If your sprockets are new, you don't necessarily need new ones, but if they've got some age, it's best to change the whole deal. Not a bad job at all to do everything.

Old 05-11-2010, 11:31 AM

Yeah Dylan , plan on doing the sprockets as well . As for the chain , it was on the bike when I bought it

The job itself doesn't worry me , I just want to be sure I get the right chain and chain riveter/breaker

Now I'm pondering what type of chain to buy , 'X' link ,'O' ring , DID ?????? I've found chain and sprocket sets on E-bay ranging from about £80-£170................MY BRAIN HURTS

Will any chain breaker do the job or am I looking for a real heavy duty one???

Old 05-11-2010, 11:36 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Buy an X link gold chain - lasts much longer and won't break links
Hooooooooooooo what a lucky boy..........
Cheap chains aren't worth the trouble they will cause you.
It's one area I try to always fit the best I can afford.

Old 05-11-2010, 12:26 PM

Yeah Shadow , I'm leaning toward a 'X' Link gold chain from We-Moto

One of these :-

http://images.wemoto.com/chain/didvm.html

Would this tool do the job??

http://www.wemoto.com/parts/picture/HL-790050/

Cheers guys

Old 05-11-2010, 12:41 PM
Administrator - Retired

The DID X-rings are supposed to be one of the best. I run the RK Gold XSO because they are always a good bit cheaper and I've had no issues with them.
As for the chain breaker, that's the same style I have. It's a lot like DID's own design, but like $100 cheaper. I can't see why it wouldn't work well as long as it's made for moto chains.

By the way.... I would also check ebay for all the stuff you need. I know they have gold X-ring chains and that chain tool on there. May be a good bit cheaper. I think I paid $35 shipped for the tool and RK gold X-rings are like $100 shipped.

Last edited by kilgoretrout; 05-11-2010 at 07:59 PM.
Old 05-11-2010, 04:26 PM

Hawk, buy a lotto ticket mate! You were f'n lucky!!! I've never seen anything like that before, and I've gotten the best out of a good few chains. When I read your thread title I thought you were talking about a rear suspension link or something..never even crossed my mind it could be something like that.

The least I'd go is a heavy duty 'o' ring from a reputable manufacturer. Depending on your budget, go from there.

Let me know if you have a big win and I'll send the details where you can send my cut..after all, it was my idea . I'd be keeping a small section of that shagged chain as a lucky paper weight or something. You can tell people "that's nothing, look how much power my bike's got..snaps chains it does.."

Old 05-11-2010, 08:06 PM
Administrator - Retired

Hawk, I think it may be a DID chain you have on there that broke. Isn't the VM series in the DID line?

I would send them an email with a picture of that and see what they say. They should seriously send you a new one (if that's what you want).

Like I said before, that should NEVER happen to any chain, and they should know about it if it's their chain.

Quick Reply: Broken Link Blue's