CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Brake pads.

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2012, 11:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake pads.

Hi. Are the brake pads interchangeable from front to rear on my cbr1000f 1992? They are the same size, but are they made the same way?

Old 08-05-2012, 12:34 PM

Assuming your 92 is a second gen bike (no 92s sold in the US) then I'd say no. Third gen bikes use the same pads front and rear and have the same part numbers, Second gen bikes have different part numbers from front to rear.

Old 08-05-2012, 03:21 PM

Speaking of brake pads, is there a how to on changing them out - front and rear - on a 93 CBR1000F? How about brands - opinions on what works best with stock rotors is welcome...

Old 08-05-2012, 07:31 PM
Banned

The 92 ( Gen 2 ) have different brake pads front and rear. I use EBC with part number FA142HH for the front and FA196HH for the rear.

Grendl,

As far as a how to goes its very easy to change them out. I choose to remove the rear wheel and get the caliper out and do it but it can be done leaving the wheel on. All you need to do is remove the small grub screw that screws in over the brake pad bolt. Then remove the brake pad bolt and the brake pads will either fall out or be pulled out. There is a clip that sits in the caliper on top of the pads that acts as a tensioner type set up. Pull that out clean it up or get a new one. It will fall out with the pads. I clean my calipers up at this stage and make sure they are free of brake dust build up etc.

I then use my piston caliper spreader to push the pistons all the way back out and slip the new pads in not forgetting the previously mentioned clip that sits on top of the pads. Then screw the retaining bolt back in and the grub screw. Simple as that really mate.

I use the double sintered EBC pads front and back. Others use the organic ones. Pads are a bit like oil imho. Everyone has a different opinion. I have used EBC for ever so I stick with them. When I changed the pads on mine recently Goodridge pads came out and they were fine.

As far as the front goes, you can leave the front wheel on and just take the calipers off by undoing the two bolts on each caliper and pulling the caliper off the rotor.. Installation is the same as the rear.

Brake pads are one of the easiest DIY jobs imo. Takes no time at all. Cheers

Old 08-08-2012, 09:32 AM

I also use EBC double H's all around on my '93. They work great.

Old 08-08-2012, 12:45 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Difference between front and rear pads on a Mk2 is that the rear pads are thicker, but the shape is the same. In an emergency you can put the rear pads in the front to get you home if the rear are a bit worn.
The Chinese pads I bought are all the same thickness and work fine. They come as a set (3 pairs) and are all the same......

Old 08-10-2012, 12:39 AM
Banned

I just did the pads on my Blackbird after having the clutch and brake fluid changed this morning at the bike shop. It hasn't been changed since I've had it from new..... ( 9 years lol ). The bike shop changed all my fluid for 100 bucks including the fluid so I was ok with that. Changing fluid in these linked brake systems is a nightmare so I got them to do it. That and a new set of pads will smarten it up a bit.

Old 12-06-2013, 01:52 PM
Senior Member & tensioner mod inventor ROTM WINNER FEB 2013

I'm bumping this old thread as I've just bought a set of DP sintered front brake pads for the old girl and didn't even realise that there was a difference in the pad thickness between front and rear until I visited the DP brakes website.
Out of curiosity I stuck the bike details into the website and found that I have been sold two sets of rear pads.
I find it hard to believe that I haven't come across this before and just wondered if any of you knowledgable folks have fitted and used the thicker rear pads in the front without any fuss. Please, no opinions, just hard fact and experience in response to this question. I may have inadvertently already fitted rear pads to the front and not even realised it but now I know there's a difference..........

Shadow's previous answer is not convincing (Sorry Pete). If you can get the pads into the callipers to 'get you home', why can't you use them permanently?

Here's the link I'm looking at for my 89 model.

DP Brakes

I've had these discs on her for about 15K miles and they are excellent BTW. Std 5mm thickness. Good price and seemingly well made high quality metal. I can recommend them.

Honda CBR 1000 F 89-92 TRW Lucas Front Pair Brake Rotors Discs MST206 | eBay

I may just go out and measure the clearance in the calliper to see if the thicker pads will go in but I'm sure one of you will shout a knowing yay or neigh before I get out of my chair.

Thanks

H

Last edited by HenryM; 12-06-2013 at 04:05 PM.
Old 12-06-2013, 10:39 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Oh our Henry missed the important bits..........................

I said you can use a rear set to get you home in the front calipers IF THEY ARE A BIT WORN

The rear pads from better manufacturers are thicker than those for the front calipers (DON'T ASK ME WHY)

These pads are too thick to fit in the front.
Yes Henry, I tried LoL

I have Chinese pads in the bike atm - they are all the same thickness, ie for front calipers and fit fine in the rear caliper. I can't understand Honda's thinking, but then I'm not Japanese.........maybe there's some reason like heat distribution but I don't have a definitive answer.

I hope this clears up any misunderstandings......

Old 12-06-2013, 11:33 PM
Senior Member & tensioner mod inventor ROTM WINNER FEB 2013

Oh I see ........ you mean if the disc is a bit worn.......
I hope my callipers haven't worn.

Thank you wise sage. I'll take the pads back then.

Cheers Pete.

H

Quick Reply: Brake pads.