CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Bike Security

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2014, 08:19 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bike Security

Brothers and sisters of the CBR fraternity,

I might be opening a can of worms but I hope not!!

Over the last few months I have spent a lot of time and quite a bit of money sorting out the pink lady to her glorious best...or as close as I can get her. Now my dilemma is that I love this bike and I don't want any scumbag to just waltz off with her.

At the moment she is kept in a locked and alarmed garage, wired into the house alarm but I want a little more security for her.

I am thinking about a ground anchor, good chain and lock.

Any suggestion, plus any other ideas about security would be awesome of you.

Cheers

Chippy

Old 03-19-2014, 09:54 PM
June 2013 ROTM

As anyone with experience will tell you, nothing will stop a determined thief. I like those chocks you can get that secure the bike, but I don't know how they will hold up.

Most people will suggest a heavy duty chain (fuggetaboutit and the like) and a disc lock (rear wheel). Make sure the chain is on tight and not on the ground, cause a big ol set of lock cutters will eat through the thickest of chains.

Even then, a thief with an angle grinder can fully dissect a physical security detail (chain and disc lock) in under a minute.

Old 03-19-2014, 10:02 PM
Senior Member & Lord of The Man Cave
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Put a quality alarm on it that will attract a lot of attention if anyone tries to move it as well as send a page alert to you.

Old 03-19-2014, 10:49 PM

This is the company and the chain I am looking at using. They have a few videos on youtube about the other chains and how easy they are to break and their chains and how difficult they are to break. Plus a decent lock and ground anchor.

http://www.almax-security-chains.co.uk/

I know a determined thief will get the bike no matter what but the more I use the better.

I am just looking for home security rather than out and about and my house alarm goes off as soon as someone opens the door and is loud enough to wake the dead so noise isn't a problem.

Old 03-20-2014, 04:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chippy211
I am just looking for home security rather than out and about and my house alarm goes off as soon as someone opens the door and is loud enough to wake the dead so noise isn't a problem.
You have a security system and still looking for more?

Easy: bring a German Shepherd into the family and let him hang out in the garage.

Old 03-20-2014, 08:41 PM

I have 2 dogs that go mad if anyone walks past the door, ok not German Shepherds but noisy enough.

My problem is that when I'm on the rig the house is empty during the day and even though the alarm sends messages to our mobile phones it's not much good to me on an oil rig and sometimes the wife can't get away from work.

I just wanted something that would make the scum think again and give them some work to do if they want my bike.

Old 03-20-2014, 09:13 PM
June 2013 ROTM

Are you worried about someone backing a truck in and loading it up? Or just riding away? If its the latter... you can always remove something like the cdi and hide it lol.

Old 03-21-2014, 01:58 AM
Retired Super Moderator, Tin Star Man & Hurricane Saloon Prospect, ROTM Feb 2015

Sounds like you already have things well under control, no alarm or other things will do any more than what you already have, basically the only things that comes to my mind are as Corruptfile said, remove something like the whole front wheel to make it as hard to move as possible, or rig a some kind of wire/latch mechanism that sets off and empties a pepper spray can into the face of whoever breaks in If you already have dogs and alarms the only thing you can do more is immobilize the bike the best you can, a ground anchor would be a good idea.

Do you have recording video surveillance? Won't stop the thief but at least you got them on a reel if the unthinkable happens.

How bout a gps tracker to the bike?

Last edited by Mattson; 03-21-2014 at 02:03 AM.
Old 03-21-2014, 06:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mattson
Do you have recording video surveillance? Won't stop the thief but at least you got them on a reel if the unthinkable happens.
That's a good idea ... get one of those "fake" video cameras, mount it, then add a sign on the garage door, "you're on video" ... why would a thief think twice if they assume they're on camera ?

Old 03-21-2014, 07:05 AM
Senior Member & Lord of The Man Cave

Originally Posted by Chippy211
If you have a home security system that is connected to a central monitored site then that's about as good as you're going to get for protecting the bike at home. If they defeat it they can easily cut any locks or chains you put on the bike and do it silently.

An alarm on the bike would help when you're out riding and you park it somewhere to go in a store or something. Plus, the more expensive alarms have tracking capabilities. Some of them even have a perimeter sensor that will trigger the alarm when anyone gets within 1 ft or so of the bike. If you wire it between the fuel pump relay and fuel pump they will not be able to hotwire it and ride off.

Quick Reply: Bike Security