Default Big Wind & Riding with Luggage

No I'm not talking about the after effects of a hard night on the beer

Yesterday commuted down and back to work - but it was freezin'

So I ran with the Top Case (Givi) on and the wind was a howling too
a real fight to maintain a straight line going between 45 & 65 ......not
as bad further up the speedo

Thing is in my opinion running with luggage in very windy conditions
amplifies buffeting etc.

Any of you Guys come across this kinda issue ???

My quick fix on the go was to run a lot faster .........no guts no glory and
all that good **** .

Have to get a taller screen , an MRA vario or touring/spoiler screen !

Comments ??

Last edited by Sprock; 04-16-2011 at 12:01 PM.
Old 04-16-2011, 03:33 PM
Senior Member & 2010 ROTY
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

I have never had a problem around those speeds or over those speeds. I do have a problem with wind blowing from the side at any speed with or without luggage.

Old 04-16-2011, 08:06 PM

Gusty -Thunderstorm is about to kick yer a$$-wind can be real spooky, even without the bags as Indy commented. I did have that on ride back from Montreal two years ago as I came thru Buffalo, NY. As you mention Sprock, having a little more conviction in your intended direction gives more momentum = more stable. The trunk box in the cross winds is the biggest sail and furthest from the CG. Not much you can do when you are at Mother Natures mercy.
On the taller screen; you know I have the MRA Vario. It's nice and looks good but if I had it to do over again I'd just get a taller screen. The Vario puts a rumble in my face when fully extended and travling at highway speed. There has to be a taller screen that puts the air over you better/smoother.

Old 04-16-2011, 09:32 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good pointer on the Vario Jim, thanks , yeah the taller screen is the way I'll go. That bit
about the wind catching the box "aft" (excuse the nautical terms) of CG makes sense too
........ of course I've only noticed it due to not having ridden with Givi perched on the
back before.......... yup severe wind gusts make for some "calculated" riding especially
when moving at a good clip and coming up on big rigs with their own wind blasts .....
gets real weird when those big rig blasts get thrown out the side as you power through
even more so as it happened up on the big bridge over the Piscataqua Bridge coming
into Maine from NH ....... a real "holy ****" moment 135 ft up from sea level

The Bridge ......... dead center is the Maine / NH State Line , 6 lanes and always a challenge
to traverse even with no wind ........ real tight 3 lanes each side with zero escape routes

Last edited by Sprock; 04-16-2011 at 09:40 PM.
Old 04-16-2011, 10:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When i get a side wind that pushes on my bike, The bike just seems to push back on its own. Its like the wind is just hitting the handles bars....doing its own counter steering. Its weird cause i know a side wind is hitting the whole bike....that just how it feels to me.

Old 04-16-2011, 11:01 PM
Senior Member & 2010 ROTY
Thumbs down

Sprock you can keep that bridge!!!

Old 04-17-2011, 12:39 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The faster you go, the more your body has an effect on the backbox.(and stops any wobble) We get some serious storm surges here, and the touring screen is great for reducing problems.
However, any major gusts will move the bike, box or no box................
Just go faster.....

Old 05-01-2011, 07:25 AM
Senior Member & tensioner mod inventor ROTM WINNER FEB 2013

I'm glad I found this thread.
For ages now I have been beginning to think that it was just me that suffered in a wimpering silence when the wind gets up.
The Cane is a big ol' slab sided beast, hardly surprising that high or buffeting winds seem to affect it so much.
I have had some truly frightening rides on the motorways here and try to avoid using them if it's really gusting.
As for the top box thing; I rarely go anywhere without it but have often thought that things might be a bit less hairy without it. I just bought a tank bag. Perhaps next time the wind starts kicking up I'll use that instead. It's just a bit of a squeze to get my laptop in it.
There's no fix for this if you own a Cane I guess but as Pete said..... just go faster. Gulp!

Old 05-02-2011, 03:54 PM
Senior Member & tensioner mod inventor ROTM WINNER FEB 2013

Adendum:

Just fitted the newly refurbished wheels and Dunlop Q2s, went out for a ride..... in very windy weather.
OMFG!! These tyres stick to the road like they're freaking magnets. My life has just taken a very unexpected turn for the better.
I've spent some serious bucks on these wheels but after 30 miles I have to say it's been worth every single penny.
Wind just doesn't phase her any more, or me either. Perhaps that's what I've been missing out on all this time.
Not even scrubbed in and already working 100% better than the old Metzlers.
Gave her a good polish, just ready for an early start tomorrow morning....... Grin.

This is an interesting subject though. Wind can be such a bitch!

Old 05-02-2011, 08:39 PM
Very Honorable Most Senior Member :)

Interesting thread. In the six or so years the CBR has graced my life wind has been no problem. Even meeting / passing semi trucks in a crosswind has been no problem. But - no tail trunk on mine, just stock Honda saddle bags and a tank bag.

It's possible my opinion stems from the fact that I moved to the CBR from a CB650, a bike which could be moved across lanes by a mild breeze. Anything would feel stable after that.