CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Battery charging problems then it eventually dies on me!!!!!!!

Old 08-25-2010, 08:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Battery charging problems then it eventually dies on me!!!!!!!

This is a follow up slash merge with my previous post.
Hopefully this thread will help some others!

Started out that i bought my bike 91 cbr1000f hurricane, rode fine the first day. The following day went to crank her 2 or 3 times and wouldn't start! As if i had a dead battery. Bought new batt. then within a day battery dead! Arr... Trickled charged if for 12 hours put it back in my bike and fine for 2 weeks or so... Then pulling in my driveway the bike bogs down and dies as if i had lost power or it starved itself of gas. 15 mins later it cranks up...Hmmm... Worked fine for 1or 2 days, then on my way to work, cruising about 65 in 5th at about 4rpms she boggs down if was again starved of fuel or electrical short...... While coasting to stop she gets power back! oooooookay... Drive about 2 miles then pull in clutch to downshift and i'll be damned, instanly bike dies. While coasting to stop i electric push start it back up... Rest of way to work ran great! And then on the way home the same day, bike boggs down within 2 miles. Wouldn't start for 10 mins or so. Started after a few and went down the road 2 miles again boggs down.. Does this again 2 or 3 more times to eventually not staring at all do to weak battery.... Now bike is in shop, mechanic said battery was fried! Battery was only 3 weeks old. Will follow up on what the problem(s) are...

Old 08-25-2010, 08:36 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got to have loose/corroded connections and/or regulator/rectifier is going south. If the R/R has gone and you cooked a battery you may also have burned wires/connectors. After you or the shop checks all the charging system wires search on history for aftermarket R/R. Little over $100 I think.

Old 08-25-2010, 09:01 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

+1 R/R cooked the battery , check your midpoint plug in the harness too

Old 08-26-2010, 02:05 AM

+1 on the R/R

Same issues on the blackbirds

Test the voltages on the battery -
Fresh charged battery - no less than 12.5v with engine off and all lights on.

Start engine and look for voltage increase to indicate charging - any more than 14.5v at 2000rpm and there is a good chance the R/R is toast !

The alternator should be giving around 26v per pair at 2000+rpm
(Unplug from R/R to do this test)

Not sure it will be a bad plug because the power is getting to the battery and cooking it.

Old 08-26-2010, 07:03 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dude, it's much easier for people if they can follow along in one thread. Heck, your other thread even had pics of the burnt harness! (although very tiny pics... )

And I don't mean to sound dickish, but it seems like you're asking for advice and then not even listening to it.
This isn't a new problem with these bikes (or with many other hondas).

Most likely culprit is bad regulator/rectifier, bad battery, or both.
You can rule out the fuel pump/FPR because your bike doesn't have one.
Plus, your battery wouldn't be going dead because of a fuel issue anyway.

First, I would check all the connections to your r/r and check your battery's water levels. Many times the faulty r/r will cook the battery and sometimes connections. Also check your voltage when the bike is above 3k rpms and see if it's getting good charging voltage.

Also download a manual if you haven't already. It can be found HERE.
And this was before I knew that your harness and battery were cooked.

Did you ever check the voltages?

If I were you, I would make sure the shop knows not to just replace the battery without replacing the burnt harness/wiring and checking out the stator and r/r. Otherwise, you'll just cook another battery and likely cause more wiring damage.
Also, if they find out the r/r is indeed bad.... don't let them replace it with a stock unit. They're like 3X more expensive and not as good as an aftermarket one from electrex, etc.
Just trying to help.

Old 08-26-2010, 07:43 PM

Thanks for the info. I actually didn't test the connections with the multimeter, just visually inspected the wires, r/r ect. Have a guy that is certified to work on bikes and is dirt cheap so i thought it would be better to take it to someone that knew what they were doin. Wasn't asking for advice on this thread just stating my problem(s) and planned to post the cure for people having the same issues..... But I must say this site/ forum is awesome! You guys have showed me some things i didnt even know..... Thanks to all!

Old 09-22-2010, 04:51 PM

Hey the issues with the bike were a bad generator and r/r runs great now! Thanks guys!!

Old 09-22-2010, 05:08 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey the issues with the bike were a bad generator and r/r runs great now! Thanks guys!!
Those parts are like the achilles heel of these dam hondas.....lol.
Glad you got it sorted out, bud. And thanks for stopping by again.