CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Bar end weights for my vfr750 bars.

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 08:40 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Bar end weights for my vfr750 bars.

Hi fellas

I know bar weights have been discussed before but I was wondering what weights the rest of you who have changed your bars for vfr ones use. At the moment I'm using the vfr750 ones but they're tiny by comparison and I'm getting some buzzing through the 'bars. My original ones are different at the bar end (the vfr ones are not half cut away) and kept coming loose. I'm thinking about taking an original to a machinist here and getting him to knock some up on a lathe out of stainless with the right vfr type ends. Any thoughts (other standard ones that are larger and will fit properly) would be appreciated. Has anybody experimented with different weight to find the ideal for our bikes..I can't help thinking that they could do with being a bit heavier than standard.

Since the weights are to soak up vibration, why are all the after market ones alloy or carbon?? Me no understand.

Thanks, Dave.

Last edited by davethepom; 03-14-2010 at 10:04 PM.
Old 03-14-2010, 11:13 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Fit new stainless ones Dave - have him make me a set too

Old 03-15-2010, 05:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you're gonna get some made, see if you can get them made form tungsten...would work even better. And, I'll get a set too!

re: the other ones coming loose...was loctite not a viable option? I'm asking cuz VFR bars are going on my bike shortly, so I want to know what I'm getting into. Thanks!

Old 03-15-2010, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by dietDrThunder
If you're gonna get some made, see if you can get them made form tungsten...would work even better. And, I'll get a set too!

re: the other ones coming loose...was loctite not a viable option? I'm asking cuz VFR bars are going on my bike shortly, so I want to know what I'm getting into. Thanks!
Loctite would work but it can make removal a pain in the ****. The other problem is that looking at the inner end if the cbrf weights, they are stepped to fit a corresponding step in the bar inserts, whereas the vfr ones are flat. This means that there is half the contact area between the bar and the weight which must affect the efficiency of their vibration absorbing. The inserts don't look like they could be swapped and I want to leave my originals standard in case I ever need them.

And, both of you... I haven't even priced my set yet so don't hold yer breath for yours . Can't hurt to try though..Anyway Pete, I'm still waiting for you to drop that dirt bike over to my place in case it gets muddy again .

Old 03-16-2010, 01:45 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Have you set up the tent by your gate yet ?
No tent, no TW200.............................hehe
Price up a set of HEAVY bar ends Dave - heavier the better IMO - Dave's dead on with the tungsten - it's a good bit heavier than stainless or pig-iron (but probably damned expensive) For me just stainless, maybe a bir longer (couple of mils) to give the extra weight. One of my weights is loose and it certainly affects the vibration.

Old 03-16-2010, 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by davethepom
The inserts don't look like they could be swapped and I want to leave my originals standard in case I ever need them.
Yes they can and it's quite easy to do.

You do need to remove the grip on the left bar and the throttle tube on the right bar first.

Then look near the end of the bar - you will see a couple of small holes.

With the end weight attached - push a small screwdriver in to one of the holes to release the clip.

Pull on the bar end weight to remove the insert.

Old 03-16-2010, 03:17 PM

Wow, great tip...I never knew that. I'll check it out on mine fo sho!

Old 03-16-2010, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by Dean0
Yes they can and it's quite easy to do.

You do need to remove the grip on the left bar and the throttle tube on the right bar first.

Then look near the end of the bar - you will see a couple of small holes.

With the end weight attached - push a small screwdriver in to one of the holes to release the clip.

Pull on the bar end weight to remove the insert.
Thanks Deano. The problem is that the cbr inserts don't look like they'll go in my vfr bars. doesn't look like the clips will line up properly...could drill some holes to line them up though. I'll have another look.

Another thought..has anybody tried lead in the bars themselves?? Everybody's got a couple of old batteries lying around, a blow torch and one of the missus' best pots would be all you'd need.

Old 03-17-2010, 03:29 AM

Originally Posted by davethepom
Thanks Deano. The problem is that the cbr inserts don't look like they'll go in my vfr bars. doesn't look like the clips will line up properly...could drill some holes to line them up though. I'll have another look.

Another thought..has anybody tried lead in the bars themselves?? Everybody's got a couple of old batteries lying around, a blow torch and one of the missus' best pots would be all you'd need.
Wrong theory with the lead.

The bar inserts are rubber mounted so that the end weights can move slightly.
This is to remove a resonant frequency in the bars themselves.

Filling the bars with lead will remove the flex and lower the frequency - potentially to a point where it is worse for your bones.

Old 03-17-2010, 06:52 PM

Thanks for the info Dean0. I'll investigate the custom made ones I think since I can't find any heavier ones for the vfr bars. The V4 must be a bit less vibey I s'pose. Might even have a crack at it myself...The father in law has a lathe in his garage, although I haven't used one for 25 years. Could be a 'how not to' coming up .

Quick Reply: Bar end weights for my vfr750 bars.