CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Back On The Road Again

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 06:37 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Back On The Road Again

Hi guys,

I haven't been on here for some time now, I was unable to ´ride my girl because of 2 back ops.

Now fit and well so after over 2 years of sitting in my garage and not hitting the road I have decided to get the lady back on the road.

I need some advice please so if you have time then any information would be appreciated.

I have a list of thing that I need to do so I'm happy with the bike before it gets tested etc for the road.

The obvious are oil change, fuel change, tyre change, clean carbs and check everything.

Just wondering what else I would need to look at.

She had new chain and sprokets the week before she was parked up. New rear shock, front forks were sorted and new brakes all round done before the rest up.

I have started her up about once a month whilst she has been dormant from the road but anything else you can suggest would be appreciated.

Some advice on recommended tyres for grip in all weather would be appreciated as well.

One other question, my swing arm is looking scruffy, has anyone had these powdercoated?

Forgot to tell you I have a CBR1000FM 1991 in the United Colours Of Benetton (lots of pink).

Thanks for you help in advance.

Last edited by Chippy211; 11-05-2013 at 06:44 PM.
Old 11-06-2013, 01:31 AM
Welcome Crew
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Good to hear you are well enough to ride again(I had 6 years off with shoulder probs)

Powdercoating has been done quite successfully and is much stronger than paint.

Sounds like you have covered most things on your check list, I take it your battery is fine after all this time?

Also, some pics would be great!

Old 11-06-2013, 01:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Probably a good idea to flush out brake fluid as it is hygroscopic (absorbs water) and that is not a good thing in your brakes.
Have recently fitted Michelin PR2's to both CBR1000 and GSXR1100 and both feel really sure on the road to me, but tyres are very much a personal feel/preference and have been discussed on various forums ad nausium.

Old 11-06-2013, 03:45 AM
Welcome Crew
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

glad to here that your recovered and getting back on the road, looks like everything has been covered, get some pics up, i had a cbr600fl in the United Colours Of Benetton,

Old 11-06-2013, 05:47 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Glad to hear your back is doing well enough to ride again. The wonders of surgery these days, it's amazing what they can do. Ride safe & enjoy the wind again.

Old 11-07-2013, 11:36 AM
Default Thanks

Hi folks,

Thanks for the support and the information. I will put pics on once I get started so you can see the progress.

Some parts are on order and being delivered soon so once I'm back home and off the rig I can get started.

Old 11-07-2013, 06:07 PM

What back ops did you have?

Old 11-08-2013, 10:56 AM

I had 2 mini discectomies within 4 months of each other and they slso stretched the feranum (the spaces in the discs) both times.

The first op was in October and only lasted 2 months then it went again worse so I was back in the hospital in the February for the second one.

The advice from the doctor was no golf or bike riding for a minimum of one year.

That was all a couple of years ago and now everything is going fine so it's back to golf and biking again...woo hoo

Old 11-08-2013, 05:36 PM

That's great news. I had the same & some a while back. Still be careful if you have not done a fusion. Bet your happy now!

Old 11-08-2013, 09:10 PM

I haven't been this pain free in about 10 years. I haven't had a twinge since the last op.

I get the odd ache but then again I put that down to age more than anything else and 23 years of body abuse in the army.

Now that I can swing a golf club and swing a leg over the bike life looks good again and I am over the moon.

Quick Reply: Back On The Road Again