CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

advise on jumping gear

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 04:55 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default advise on jumping gear

Hey guys.. I started noticing she's starting to jump out of gear a alot more lately..specially from 2nd to 3rd and jumping out from 3rd..
Is this normally trouble with the gear selector or symptoms of something more serious with gear box..any tips on how to conclude which?
if its the gear selector I'll have a crack at fixing it somehow..not sure if honda still make these parts.
any thoughts helpful..thanks

Old 03-31-2011, 05:30 AM
Welcome Crew
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Is she actually disengaging after being in the gear you select or is it not wanting to change, if it is just being hard to get into the next gear it could be the heavier oil you are using. Also is the oil you have changed to suitable for wet clutches because I have heard of people having problems with clutch and gearbox after running standard car oil that is not designed with wet clutches in mind.

Old 03-31-2011, 06:41 AM

+1, if you aren't running 10w40 bike oil atm try that first as it's the easiest and cheapest thing to go with. It wouldn't be the cause, but might not help things.

I've never heard anything about this being an issue witht these bikes. Honda gearboxes are bloody good.

Assuming it's jumping out of gear, rather than not engaging properly in the first place, my $ would be on bent / worn selector forks. I think Honda can supply any parts for these bikes.

If it's just not engaging properly, try shifting the lever position so you put more force on it with your toes. I know this sounds daft but i have heard of this causing gear selection problems in the past.

Keep us posted!

Old 03-31-2011, 08:46 AM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah my 93 needs a good firm shift from second to third with heavier oil in it
- if you light shift it'll miss .......... and sound like a bucket of marbles

Not a big deal just shift firmly ..........in other words kick the b!tch into gear hard

Old 03-31-2011, 11:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had similar problems with my cbr, turned out it was me not changing gear properly due to wearing new boots.

Old 04-01-2011, 04:09 AM

cool guys thanks.. well it all makes sense all combined ..i did go up in oil 20/50 then this issue started being more prominent..and yeah maybe i'm not kicking it the guts hard enough! lol.hmm..come to think of it its only jumping when going up to 3rd but not to3rd from 4th.maybe i should let her warm up longer before riding too..do you guys always warm up first.?
is it bad to ride these bikes conservative..i.e cruise around 3.5 on the taco in 5/4 th humming along or do they fancy the higher revs noisy riding style..one last question..are these bikes capable of lifting up? how do i lift her? gently off course. #$lol

Old 04-01-2011, 08:47 AM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hard to lift and not a good idea given how heavy they are , if ya want to go lifting it
big rear sprocket (mid 50's teeth) and longer chain.

On the 2-3 partial shift problem ........ my 93 is the very same with new heavy oil in it
wait a few weeks when the oil thins out .....it'll be less .......and ya ride harder

Old 04-01-2011, 11:08 AM

check your drive chain tension ,if its to slack it can somtimes miss select and feels like it has jumped out of gear this happened on my cbr600 i fitted a new chain & sprockets and tensioned it, and hey presto no more probs. has the bike done a big mileage.

Old 04-03-2011, 04:41 PM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........

Originally Posted by horse_power777
.maybe i should let her warm up longer before riding too..do you guys always warm up first.?

is it bad to ride these bikes conservative..i.e cruise around 3.5 on the taco in 5/4 th humming along or do they fancy the higher revs noisy riding stylel
I think letting a bike stand and idle is a bad way to warm up, I let her idle on the choke for about 1 min then I'll ride her, but very gently, never taking her over 3K rpm until she's warmed up properly. This way all parts of the bike are warmed up and ready to go(brakes tyres chain ect), not just the engine. This is just my personal opinion and you should judge what is best for the conditions in which you ride.

As for cruising at 3.5K on the taco, I'm sure it won't do any harm, though I'd avoid dropping too much lower in high gears.

Personally speaking my happy place seems to be 4-5K in any gear, at that engine speed you've got the grunt to overtake most things and if you drop a cog you'll really fly!

Old 04-03-2011, 06:05 PM

Bonjour
Oils for our CBR 1000 f are generally of Motul 15W50 or YACCO.
The level measurement is done without targeting the cap (set at MAX).
Let lee heat engine three minutes. The firft is a little slap is normal, if the speed goes wrong there's no flexibility.

byes

Les huiles pour nos CBR 1000 f sont en général de la 15w50 motul ou yacco.
La mesure du niveau se fait sans viser le bouchon ( mettre au MAXI).
Laisser chauffer lee moteur trois minutes. La premiére tape un peu se qui est normal, sinon les vitesses monte pas bien y a pas de souplesse.

Quick Reply: advise on jumping gear