CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Advice needed on stator!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 06:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Advice needed on stator!!!

Ok, so today I was figuring out why my bike had a small oil leak. Turned out to be the stator cover(PO had previously tried to repair). Well taking it off was a PITA cause the PO had used a type of JB weld to fix one of the sides on the cover where the screws go through to mount it to the motor, and they did not use the o-ring gasket, they used RTV gasket sealent. I read the manual and it said for K and later models to remove the 3 screws and pull off, well PO only had two cause one is sheered off!!!! I was prying, and trying to get the cover free, using a hammer against a block of wood to tap it left and right, while pulling on the dang thing. When I finally got it off, and brought it inside to see how bad the damage was(at the peice the PO broke), I looked inside the stator and see what looks like a small peice of a broken rod inside a bearing about 1/2 inch long!!!!!! WTF is broken now!!!!!! I went out side to see what it goes to and looks like it goes in the middle of the part that spins with thte motor. I will take pics of the Stator if needed. PLEASE LET ME KNOW WHATS BROKEN!!!!!!

Ok so I have been searching like crazy for a picture of the inside of a working stator, and found this link, in picture #3 you will see a bearing on the end of the alternator shaft. http://www.stu.co.nz/cbr1000fix/ This bearing is stuck inside my stator cover, with a peice of the shaft still attached to it!!! WTF

ARRRRGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SO now I need to get this dang bearing out of my cover, and see if I can get a new bearing and see if my buddy can weld the part back on the shaft or find a whole stator and alt, for cheap!!!!

This is a great bike, but some shifty stuff has been done to it.

Last edited by outlawfox13; 04-10-2011 at 11:31 PM.
Old 04-11-2011, 12:15 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds like a piece of the stator probe has broken off inside the bearing.
Rewelding it may be a problem as the tolerances it runs in are very tight, and any wobble would be a disaster.
You'll have to replace the cover, if a lug has broken off - I suspect that's what caused the probe to fail, running at an angle.
I'd look for a complete stator on e- Bay or maybe one of the guys may have a stripped engine . Tom ?
A complete new unit will be expensive - check out Mr cycles at Honda Kawasaki Polaris Suzuki Yamaha Motorcycles ATVS Scooters Utility Vehicles

Old 04-11-2011, 06:38 AM

Well that makes sense, I was wondering if it could be re-welded, but didn't think so. Yea I already, posted on Tom's part out thread, hopefully he has the whole stator and alternator assembly, and its not too much. Because I saw how much a whole new unit would cost, over a grand !!!!

Thanks the help Shadow

Old 04-11-2011, 06:39 PM

So now that I am on the search for a new alt/stator, do I just follow the procedures in the link I provided for installing the alternator dampner, to install the alternator that I buy? Or does someone on here have a pretty slick way of installing the alternator?