CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

about Jet Kits

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2012, 12:39 AM
Registered Users
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default about Jet Kits

would like to here a few opinions about jet kits thinking of getting one for the 87 hurricane . when im riding around under 3600 rpm's it bogs and when still in nutral or stopped it putters and sometimes gives a lil backfire.when i go higher it evens out and rides smooth. herd a jet kit could fix this problem. remember i have individual pod filters and gravity feed also welded the stock mufflers so i didnt have to continue to buy the gasket rings .

Old 05-19-2012, 12:46 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it was my bike I would put the stock airbox back in before I started chasing different jets for pod filters. There can't be that much hp gained if any at all for all the headache.

Old 05-19-2012, 04:28 AM

most of the jet kits will step up the primaries. if you are bogging down at part throttle the jets are most likely already to large and the issue will most likely be in the secondary or transitional circuits. what kind of vacuum are you getting at the cylinder?

Old 05-19-2012, 07:28 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Like tobiahr says, the bogging is fuel related.

There are two problems. The pods and the fuel quality.

The factory air box was restrictive and removing it and installing pods would call for more fuel. The other problem is the ethanol in the fuel. To run with ethanol you need to sweeten the fixture. Both would require more fuel.

Even if you put the factory air box back in, you would be at the hairy edge of needing to richen due to the variances in fuel from pump to pump. Sometime it's ok, sometimes is not so ok to just plain sucks.

Old 05-19-2012, 07:56 AM

if the pods cause it to lose to much vacuum it will give incorrect signalling at part throttle.he stated at higher rpm or at WOT its running ok. That to me would indicate signalling only issues. i think everyone here agrees its the pods causing the issues but for different reasons.

Old 05-19-2012, 11:40 AM
Registered Users

ok im trying NOT to go back to the stock air box and remain with the pod filters ... it runs fine , just putters and slightly sluggish under 4000 .. how can i fix it with out going back .. main thing here is .. i wanna keep the pods and want to know whats going to work with it 140 & 142.5 or 145 &147.5 ?.. honestly .. im not tryin to hear the stock air box thing

Old 05-19-2012, 12:35 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

im not tryin to hear the stock air box thing
Unfortunately sometimes you don't like the answers you get.................
But then maybe you need to address the issues differently.
Pod filters are a bear to tune to, which is why you're getting the answer you don't like but is the best solution in the shortest time and the cheapest.

Old 05-19-2012, 03:31 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by tobiahr
if the pods cause it to lose to much vacuum it will give incorrect signalling at part throttle.
Exactly! The restrictive factory box is like choking it. You would have more vacuum on the engine side of the carb drawing more fuel out. With pod installed and less restrictive, you need to help the fuel out by opening the jets.

It's a tricky thing to get the correct jets with pods. You have to keep going up until you get a balance between the pods and pipe you are running, factory in this case.

Pods are short where as the factory box has header tubes running to the carbs. The tube keep air flowing without turbulence that the pods may be creating.

It's a trial and error thing with the jets.
When I get home form the job I 'm on, I plan on lifting my needles. I have a K&N filter and TB slipon. It worked fine until the mucked the fuel up again and now she stumbles and pops like you stated. I plan on lifting the jets a notch and seeing if it helps. Sometimes it's like a 2-stroke loading up and it simply won't go. Different pump and she runs fine. Just not getting enough with this ethanol.

Old 05-19-2012, 05:46 PM

Never assume that individual pods will lean out the idle mixture. Could be just the opposite, especially near idle. First thing I would do is make sure the piston/needle in each carb moves freely. If they don't, there's no sense doing anything else until they are cleaned.

Actually, I would check the ignition system first, but I grew up on points and condensers. If you think the ignition advance, plug wires, plug resistors, and spark plugs are good, then on to the carbs.

I would still check the spark plugs. Are they white or sooty black? If they are white, I would turn the pilot screw on each carb out a 1/2 turn. Stock is 2 and 1/2 turns out. And then try riding, and check again. At sea level and with the gas we have nowadays, you could go all the way to 4 or 5 turns out. If it was still running lean, then I would get the next larger slow jet. I believe #40 is stock.

Ahaa, but what if the plugs are sooty black? Choke could be stuck on, floats wrong, etc.

Old 05-19-2012, 11:08 PM

Bottom line is if you are dead set on using the pods there are no easy answers on jetting or carb adjustment. most of it is going to be trial and error unless you can find someone that has the same setup and has already worked out the bugs

Quick Reply: about Jet Kits