CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

About driving with luggage,PLEASE ADVISE

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2011, 01:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default About driving with luggage,PLEASE ADVISE

I mounted a Givi Wingrack last winter on my Cbr 1000 F -1997,Yesterday i tested to drive it with a couple of Givi E360 cases on the sides and a Givi V46 topbox,It seemed to wobbles a lot at low speeds, Are the any adjustments to make with this setup,The cases was empty.Does anyone else have this setup? PLEASE ADVISE

Last edited by Sprock; 04-30-2011 at 08:32 AM.
Old 04-30-2011, 07:19 AM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hmm, First try dis-mounting all of the cases and ride it. That will rule out coincidence of something ELSE on the bike just broke and is causing the wobble.

Then add just the topcase and then just the sidebags, to see if you can isolate the source of the wobble.

Inspect the mounting hardware, be sure all is snugly secure. If, any of the mounts are loose, that might let the cases develop a low speed harmonic.

In order of most likely culprit, I would suspect the top case. It changes the airstream the most. It could even be a relationship of the windscreen, your helmet and the case causing the problem.

Drop a dime after/if you try my suggestions, I'm curious, now. I have the Givi 35 topcase-only mounted on my 98 CBR6003. I haven't had any problem with a totally stock set-up.

Old 04-30-2011, 08:31 AM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Go faster , but yeah they can wobble a bit ........ up around 80 mph it begins to
to be less noticeable ........ possibly because you attention is focused elsewhere

Old 04-30-2011, 05:04 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I have a three bag system also. The bike is rock solid at any speed with or w/o hands on the bars. When I put any combination of bags on, I get a very bad wobble with hands off at 45 mph. If I let go, the bars want to go into lock to lock shake. I have to take it up to high speed if I plan on zipping the front or sleeves of my jacket.

I don't think the rear part of the frame is stiff enough to prevent the shakes with bags. I was able to twist the rear frame with my hands when I was looking into the shaking. I added a stiffener on each side, from the grab rail to the wing rack, that did little for the shake but moved the shake from 55 to 45 mph where I can deal with it better..

Old 04-30-2011, 05:20 PM
Senior Member & tensioner mod inventor ROTM WINNER FEB 2013

Don't like the sound of that TBT.
Frame stiffness is a good point. CBRs aren't built like BMs but all the same..... has anyone else had this kind of experience with luggage?
I ride with my trusty Givi monokey top box pretty much everywhere I go. She always feels better without though, on those odd occasions when the ride is solely about spanking her ***.

Old 04-30-2011, 07:50 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had a three bag monokey set for about 35k miles. When the bags are heavy they will wobble on the flex of thier mounts mostly. The only time I had the bike seem to move was three bags lightly loaded on a truck pass near 95mph briefly. I'm not in the habit of any no-hands so can't comment on that. Biggest issue is strong crosswing gusting for me, particularly in the rain.

Old 05-09-2011, 01:53 PM

The on-deceleration-let-go-of-bars-wobble thing is intrinsic in the geometry, and is virtually impossible to get rid of...don't sweat it (and don't let go of the bars unless you have a throttle lock).

Old 05-09-2011, 05:18 PM

I totally agree on the keep your hands on the bars, but need to coment this.

I have had the same experience, I changed the front tire, and it was gone.

The tire can look good from a small distanse, but if at a closer look you see that the pattern is looking like a stair case (dunno the english term for this condition, but you know what i mean), then change it!

Worn out bearings in the steering colomn/stem/dont know the correct word here either, will amplify this effect, so have it checked out as well.

Old 05-09-2011, 07:19 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Good points, Polar.
Ern

Old 05-09-2011, 09:48 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've never had a problem, whether running 1 or all 3 boxes - 48L Nonfango's, but then I don't take both my hands off the bars much.
I remember the British Police had problems with a harmonic wobble at speed on one of the Hondas (forget which one but it wasn't a 1000F) and it killed a couple of riders, so they don't ride them anymore.
You need to look into the matter..........

Good thinking on the front tyre Polarpanther- check the pressure too !

Quick Reply: About driving with luggage,PLEASE ADVISE