CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

88 brake discs

Old 12-10-2012, 03:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 88 brake discs

Hi all, i have just aquiered a 92 rim for me 88 hurricine but its bare, was wondering if any one knows if my original discs will bolt straight on?
Also I know I should change the sprocket cover for the speedo drive, but could the later rim be engineered to take the original drive?
The rear has already been modded so changing the front as well, getting both rims powder coated to match.

thanks Al

Old 12-10-2012, 03:26 PM
Super Moderator
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

I believe they will Al, though Sprock (the man of many CBR1000Fs) may chime in and shoot me down.

2X Front Brake Disc CBR1000F Hurricane 87-88 1989-1999 | eBay

As for machining for the speedo drive, I do not know the differences between the Mark 1 and II so can't answer that.

Is there enough room at the rear of the 88 to fit the later wheel with the original hugger in place?

Cheers, SB

Old 12-10-2012, 07:12 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Should work - disks that is - but I have had no need to do it - DragonCBR would be the
man to pm as he has extensive experience in swapping rims on the MK1 front and rear.

As for the speedo - nah you'll need to go with a mk2 sprocket cover and cable - easy
nuff job tho - again DragonCBR can be more definitive - I kept and plan on keeping
my 87 close to stock rims and all.

Old 12-11-2012, 12:21 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

As for the speedo - nah you'll need to go with a mk2 sprocket cover and cable - easy
nuff job tho - again DragonCBR can be more definitive -

Yup !

but could the later rim be engineered to take the original drive?
I don't think so - much easier to get a new sprocket cover and cable And prob cheaper !

Is there enough room at the rear of the 88 to fit the later wheel with the original hugger in place?
No the original hugger won't fit the Mk2 rim - too wide ! (Or we'd all have huggers, but they were only made for the skinny Mk1 wheel)

Carl (Dragon) will know about the wheel spacers as he's done the job before !
I think they are different ?

Old 12-11-2012, 04:15 AM

hi guys, and thanks for the replies, sorry cant really help with rear wheel as that was done before I purchased the bike.
I am keeping an eye out for the later sprocket cover and cable.
Also the wheels will be off for a coat of powder when I get the wheel, and some other bits and pieces ready for next summer

Old 12-15-2012, 08:19 AM

Good morning all, it has been a while!

For the question no the front canno't be fit with the old speedo set up, much more cleaner with the sprocket cover of mark 2 and 3 , make sure you have the plastic cover that goes over the bolt of the sprcoket and if i remembered correctly , speedo cable is long enough to reach the speedo from the sprocket cover.

if any question call me, i am now modifying mine with floating disk brakes over the winter.

Old 12-19-2012, 02:28 AM
Default 88 Hurricane

Thanks guys for all the input, I was gonna get this bike looking something like, and then sell it for something newer, but after a little blast out on it on sunday before it went inside for the mods to take place, riding back I was like thinking why sell it, for a 25 year old bike it goes very well starts well drives well.
So now I am gonna deprive some one else the pleasure lol, I have purchased the relavent original new wheel spacers after sources honda part numbers on this site Discount OEM Parts: Arctic Cat, Yamaha, Honda, Polaris, Suzuki, Kawasaki, KTM, Ski Doo for availabilty, then google UK suppliers.
Both wheels are going to powder coat back to red, and keeping an eye out for a late sprocket cover.
thanks again.

Old 12-19-2012, 02:48 AM
Super Moderator
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

You're welcome.......

Another satisfied convert

Our work here is done

Cheers, SB

Old 01-13-2013, 12:30 PM
Default 88 front rim change.

So, ive started stripping wheels off to go for powder coating.
Am I missing some thing? as it states in how to, i would need a different front mudgaurd/fender to accomodate the wider front wheel!
I have now removed the guard/fender and tried it over the new wider wheel and it fits over it, not actually tried it on the bike though, will do that next week.
Thanks, Alan.

Old 01-13-2013, 10:06 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Front will probably fit, the rear will fit but without the hugger. And a modified spacer.
I know the discs will fit, don't know if the brake assemblies from the Mk1 will fit the Mk2 wheel though.
Check the lower attachment points for the brakes, maybe look at the fiche
www.mrcycles.com and compare the lower shock mounting points ............

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 88 brake discs