CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

87 honda hurricane 1000, fuel/vac line diagram, & tank cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 08:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 87 honda hurricane 1000, fuel/vac line diagram, & tank cleaning

Tore my 87 1000 apart about 3 months ago because it started running pretty rough at the end of last season. Found a clogged fuel filter, the 4 mini filters in the carbs were clogged, as was the filter on the petcock. anyway, at the time i tore it apart, it was about 80 degrees and i was ready to hit the road, than we had a cold spell for about 6 weeks, and i kind of lost interest, now here i am, beautiful weather again trying to put her back together, and i cant figure out what goes where. I've got the fuel line routing on the bottom two and from the tank figured out. I just cant figure out what goes to the two upper fuel fittings, as for the rest of the vaccuum and vent lines, im clueless also. Im also wondering what the best way to clean the sediment out of my tank is. It is not rusty, its just dirty. and is there a part number for just the filter that goes on the petcock? I ordered a whole new petcock beacuse i couldnt find it. wouldnt mind spending about 80 dollars less for a couple dollar filter haha. thanks

Old 05-23-2012, 11:03 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

in the same boat with respect to the in tank screen filter - so junked the electric
fuel pump and filter for gravity fed with a honkin big inline filter ---- same effect and function
rinse the tank with acetone or paint thinners

send the petcock back if you go the gravity fed route with inline external filter
use the old one (petcock) without the in tank screen / filter

as for lines and routing

well it's dark here but tomorrow I can snap a pic as mines on the lift with all fairings
and tank off

oh yeah take out the fuel sender for easier rinsing of the tank

Last edited by Sprock; 05-23-2012 at 11:07 PM.
Old 05-25-2012, 04:58 AM

Is there anything I have to do to switch to gravity besides remove the fuel pump ? I already have an inline filter on it now, I junked the little tiny carb filters, and will try running without the in tank as well.
Thanks!

Old 05-25-2012, 05:56 AM
Crazy CBR Salvage Guy. RIP

The big thing to watch out for is that there is always fall from the tap to the carbs.

There is f. all height difference between the petcock outlet and the carb inlets. So you need to carefully check that each hose run is always going at least marginally downhill. If you have any length going even slightly uphill, it will develop an airlock that eventually gets bigger and shuts down the fuel supply.

I know this because.....

Old 05-26-2012, 01:00 PM

Heres a pic of the two lines im not sure about. Also are the two lines under the fuel tank just vent lines that run down to the ground? Im assuming one is the overflow for the top of the tank and the other is just a vent? Thanks!!

Attached Thumbnails 87 honda hurricane 1000, fuel/vac line diagram, & tank cleaning-img_0312.jpg  
Old 05-29-2012, 10:03 PM

Well im hoping that nothing goes on the two lines pictured, because I am out of parts, I've got it running, but its still not running very well, the warmer the engine gets, the higher it idles. When i first start out, first 10 miles, everything is good, the idle drop when i pull the clutch in while shifting like it should. 10 or so miles into the trip, the idles will increase when i pull the clutch in, and if i am in stop and go riding, my idle will be up close around 4K rpms while hot.

Old 05-30-2012, 04:21 AM

The two fittings you have indicated are the fuel bowl overflow fittings that should be connected to hoses that terminate down at the front of the swingarm so that if your float valves stick open and the fuelbowls flood the overflow is dropped onto the road rather than onto a very hot part of the engine/trans and then round underneath to drop onto the hot exhaust(no need to suggest what could happen in this case)

An increase in idle speed as temp increases could indicate something in the throttle or choke cables sticking or a vacuum leak between the carbs end engine intake tract.

Hope this is a bit of help

Old 07-14-2012, 04:00 PM
Angry vac pipes

Hi there, I'm in the same spot of bother like yourself, mine runs for about 5-10 mins then packs in and wont start. She's got new plugs +leads, air and fuel filter and she's still ungrateful. Found 2 vac pipes or look like vac pipes between 1and 2 carb and 3 and 4 carb,cant seem find where they go to though! By the way its a 1988 1000f huricane.

Old 07-14-2012, 07:35 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well this is a double post but we'll let it slide this time

Your tank is stuffed probably with rust and your carbs - same

Clean carbs, clean fuel pump and filter (or discard pump maybe toast and use a gravity feed with new filter) - seal tank

Old 07-15-2012, 12:28 PM

Thanks for that,got her going now.

Quick Reply: 87 honda hurricane 1000, fuel/vac line diagram, & tank cleaning