CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

1993 1000f

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2013, 04:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1993 1000f

Anyone have problems with the speedometer just stop working? I replaced the cable but still no. It has sat many a year and just won't work. Ideas?

Many thanks

Old 10-08-2013, 07:57 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is the speedo drive cap engaging the front sprocket nut ?

They get rounded out sometimes

Old 10-10-2013, 10:18 PM

Ya every time it hits that pin at the top it stops there till I go slow again......Sorry guys, I had to say it! You know you all wanted to say the same thing.

Smart azz aside. Listen to Sprockie, he knows his chit.

Old 10-11-2013, 08:38 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Sprock
Is the speedo drive cap engaging the front sprocket nut ?

They get rounded out sometimes
They also get belled out with age causing the slipping/rounding to happen.

I did a temporary fix on mine last month while waiting for a new part. I pulled the sprocket bolt and placed plastic wrap over it and applied some JB-weld to the inside of the coupler. Then placed the coupler over the bolt head and let it set up. I have the new part but, hey, I've got over 500 miles on the JB-weld temp fix so waiting to see how far she'll go. lol

I was looking at another quick fix. A small hose clamp located where it won't interfere with the case will draw the bell shape back in.

Az1kF, your bike may be lacking HP, mine has the power to mow that pin over. lol

Old 10-11-2013, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by TimBucTwo
Az1kF, your bike may be lacking HP, mine has the power to mow that pin over. lol
LOL. Well I guess that goes to show you who has a stiffer pin!

Old 10-11-2013, 08:19 PM
Welcome Crew

Originally Posted by Az1kF
LOL. Well I guess that goes to show you who has a stiffer pin!
burn

Old 08-25-2015, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by TimBucTwo
I did a temporary fix on mine last month while waiting for a new part. I pulled the sprocket bolt and placed plastic wrap over it and applied some JB-weld to the inside of the coupler. Then placed the coupler over the bolt head and let it set up. I have the new part but, hey, I've got over 500 miles on the JB-weld temp fix so waiting to see how far she'll go. lol

I was looking at another quick fix. A small hose clamp located where it won't interfere with the case will draw the bell shape back in.
Not so temp. She is still holding up. I still have the new part in the tool box but the temp fix is still going strong. The small hose clamp is still in there also. To tell the truth, I forgot about this fix until now.

Old 08-25-2015, 11:03 PM

Tim, I've heard of this "JBWeld" stuff. Being from the antipodes, can you, or anyone, enlighten me as to what it is and what's a similar product here in NZ? I've got the saem speedo drive issue, which I've managed to diagnose myself! I ordered the new bit from UK, which has arrived ($33 later). But I'm impressed that your temp fix is still fixed TimBucToo. I may have to adopt it to see how temp it is on mine!

Old 08-25-2015, 11:52 PM
Super Moderator
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

http://www.jbweld.com/collections/all/products/j-b-weld-twin-tube

I can get it at the little old garage in Mt Pleasant. Have used it to repair lock mechanisms on convertible tops, fairing repairs and a myriad other jobs where Araldite just won't cut the mustard. It has a far higher melting point and tensile strength. Two-part mix.

Look around, you'll find it.

Cheers, SB

Old 08-26-2015, 01:47 PM

I use the JB Weld KwikWeld. It sets up in a few minutes vs. hours.
Very pricey in your neck of the woods.
This is what I pay. LINK.

Its a machinable steel enforce epoxy. I had a car that the oil pan rusted out form inside out. To replace the pan, the engine would have had to come out. It was JB Kwik to the rescue. I fixed my sons worn out shotgun with the stuff.

Its tough stuff. Much tougher than the plastic part that wares out when in contact with the metal bolt.

Quick Reply: 1993 1000f