CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

1987 CBR 1000F won't start

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2012, 09:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1987 CBR 1000F won't start

Hi all. This is my first go at this and I don't really know a lot about bikes. So please bear with me.

I bought a bike off of a friend a few days ago and it hadn't been started for about 6 months. When I went round to collect it, it would not start. He then charged the battery for me and managed to start it up later on. I collected it and started it up the next morning and went to work on it. When I took it out that afternoon it started fine but whilst on the ride I stalled it and tried to start it again and it would not turn over and instead just made a buzzing noise. I then got some blokes to push me down the road to bump start which it did with no real trouble.

When I got home I turned it off and then tried to start it up again but all I heard was the same buzzing noise and no attempt to turn over.

I thought it could be the battery so I put it on charge last night but when I tried it this morning again there was still the same noise.

Any ideas?!
Cheers

Old 10-13-2012, 11:56 AM
Senior Member and Montana roustabout :)

1st off, welcome to the forum!

My guess would be either a bad battery or a bad starter. Some of the more experienced members here will no doubt see your post at some point and maybe be able to give you better info...

Old 10-13-2012, 12:10 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Battery sounds like its toast. If you can read the voltage, I'd bet it'll be low especially when trying to crank it.

" So please bear with me. "

And...welcome. I'm sure Bear will be with you shortly. He's traveling right now!

Last edited by 74demon; 10-13-2012 at 12:40 PM.
Old 10-13-2012, 12:35 PM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

+1 on the dead battery. I had the same problem after a two year layoff. I replaced mine and it hasn't failed me but it would do you well to investigate your charging system to make sure there is no underlying cause for battery failure

good luck to you

Old 10-13-2012, 12:40 PM

Yep, knackered battery, invest in a new one and welcome to the group, stick with them a lot of members with plenty of knowledge.

Cheers, Steve

Old 10-13-2012, 01:00 PM

The buzzing sound is may be the starter when the charge is to low in the battery, so like everyone else I would say bad battery!

Old 10-13-2012, 01:10 PM
Default Get a manual !!

+ 1 to all advice so far. Remove the battery and check acid level. Top up with distilled water to the line. Mine was half empty when I got her. You must get a haynes manual so you can do all those great jobs, oil, filters and lubs, while the missus is watching all the cr@p on the tv !! Good Luck - there cannot be much wrong that a battery, fresh fuel and some miles will not cure!

Old 10-13-2012, 05:39 PM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Welcome. Adding to the good comments made already...

You can download free manuals from my link below..
Make sure you download the Owners Manual at least - as this covers day to day maintenance checks. (This manual is for a 1990 model but it will be mostly correct for you mechanically)

Help us help you by filling in your location under personal info - it will then appear in the top right hand corner of your posts.

If you don't know much about electrics then one of these simple testers is a must. They're about $10 and will save you a lot of time & money ( as I don't know where you live I can't give a link to a store but discount auto stores & electrical parts stores have them.)
It will tell you where your problems lie.

eg When connected to the battery with the motor running - if the yellow light at 13.2V is not lit then you have a problem with the charging system. You can then see the solutions in the manual or come back here for more help. We will look out for you.

Attached Thumbnails 1987 CBR 1000F won't start-honda-cbr1000-cbr1000-electrical-diagram-3-017-30.jpg  

Last edited by Naga_Thai; 10-13-2012 at 06:08 PM.
Old 10-13-2012, 06:01 PM

Thanks everyone. You have made me feel very welcome. I absolutely love the bike and would hope that it is just the battery playing silly buggers as I haven't really got the cash to be forking out for any major works!

I will take the battery out and give it a look. I did charge it today for another 9 or so hours but again the no other noise but the buzzing noise! It just seems strange how it started playing up after I stalled it!

Will definitely have a look at the Haynes manual soon!

Old 10-13-2012, 06:06 PM
Super Moderator
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by 74demon
Battery sounds like its toast. If you can read the voltage, I'd bet it'll be low especially when trying to crank it.

" So please bear with me. "

And...welcome. I'm sure Bear will be with you shortly. He's traveling right now!
Ha! Thanks Demon

And welcome to the forum Spamola!

As all have indicated above battery is most likely the culprit - not enough oomph to spin the starter so the solenoid complains.

Naga's suggestion of a tester is a good thing, and if the battery is your problem it's relatively cheap to fix.

If you replace the battery and still have a problem, most likely it will be an earthing problem so you will need to clean up terminals and earths to the frame.

Let us know how you go!

Cheers, SB

Quick Reply: 1987 CBR 1000F won't start