Alternative Parts What fits where, what else will fit, resources + bike manuals

Thermostat

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2013, 04:31 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Thermostat

Problem: Bike overheating in traffic.

Upon checking the thermostat, it was opening at 195°F (90.55°C) and should opening at 180°F (82.22°C).

I found an alternative thermostat because the Honda one is around $36 to $52 USD plus shipping and taxes whereas the replacement is $5.99 plus tax for a total of $6.47USD and is found local at any auto parts store.

What I found were, Gates #33488 but I couldn't find it local around here so I went with Stant #13868. They're like the ones used in a 1983 Honda Accord.

I removed the brass dohicky in the new Slant one because the old one had just the hole.

The fan kicks on on off like it should now rather than keep running as the bike keeps heating up.

On MK2 and MK3, remove the allen head bolt from the right upper radiator cover. Use an 8mm socket with small extension to remove the two bolts in the thermostat housing. Replace the thermostat and bolts. Takes 5 minutes.

Be sure to install it with the hole on top.

EDIT:Here they are side by side after testing both. I pulled both thermostats out of the pot at 195°F when the old one finally decided to opened. You can see the difference in the coolant passageways. The new one on the right will let more coolant flow at a lesser temp.

I went with the 180°F to stop the over heating in traffic and it did help. The bike runs better over all with this thermostat.

Attached Thumbnails Thermostat-thermostat.jpg  

Last edited by TimBucTwo; 01-07-2014 at 09:36 AM.
Old 07-23-2014, 01:14 AM
August 2014 ROTM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is this the same for the m1 ?

Old 07-23-2014, 09:08 AM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by john lindley
Is this the same for the m1 ?
If you're asking about the thermostat, then I would say yes they are the same across all models, as they are all the same part number 19300-MG9-000.

Old 07-23-2014, 04:19 PM
August 2014 ROTM

Originally Posted by hawkwind
If you're asking about the thermostat, then I would say yes they are the same across all models, as they are all the same part number 19300-MG9-000.
Thanks Hawk. Any idea where to get one here in the Uk?

Old 07-01-2016, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by TimBucTwo
Problem: Bike overheating in traffic.

Upon checking the thermostat, it was opening at 195°F (90.55°C) and should opening at 180°F (82.22°C).

I found an alternative thermostat because the Honda one is around $36 to $52 USD plus shipping and taxes whereas the replacement is $5.99 plus tax for a total of $6.47USD and is found local at any auto parts store.

What I found were, Gates #33488 but I couldn't find it local around here so I went with Stant #13868. They're like the ones used in a 1983 Honda Accord.

I removed the brass dohicky in the new Slant one because the old one had just the hole.

The fan kicks on on off like it should now rather than keep running as the bike keeps heating up.

On MK2 and MK3, remove the allen head bolt from the right upper radiator cover. Use an 8mm socket with small extension to remove the two bolts in the thermostat housing. Replace the thermostat and bolts. Takes 5 minutes.

Be sure to install it with the hole on top.

EDIT:Here they are side by side after testing both. I pulled both thermostats out of the pot at 195°F when the old one finally decided to opened. You can see the difference in the coolant passageways. The new one on the right will let more coolant flow at a lesser temp.

I went with the 180°F to stop the over heating in traffic and it did help. The bike runs better over all with this thermostat.

Thanks for this! You're going to be my go-to CBR guy for this noob. I have the same issue.....gauge sits at almost nothing for a long time....almost all the way home on the 20 mile tollway ride. Then as soon as I get off the tollway, and if I happen to get on it a little between lights, the gauge shoots all the way up as high as it can go. Once I start moving again, it comes back down again. But it scares the crap out of me. I bought engine ice coolant and plan to do a coolant flush today after work. But I'm thinking it may make sense to replace the thermostat as well.....I'll have to see what I can find locally. The gates one is available on Amazon, but even with 1 day shipping selected, I wouldn't have it until next Thursday. If I do the coolant flush and change today, I should be able to replace the thermostat later, correct? I mean, without having to replace all the (new) coolant again?

Let me know and thanks!

Warner

Old 07-01-2016, 09:16 AM

Go to Pep Boys, NAPA, Advance Auto or any other auto store and ask for 1983 Honda Accord thermostat for 180°F.

I picked mine up at Advance Auto for $10, Part No. 45868

If you replace it later, you will only lose a drop or two due to it being up top.

Old 07-01-2016, 09:52 AM

Go to Pep Boys, NAPA, Advance Auto or any other auto store and ask for 1983 Honda Accord thermostat for 180°F.

I picked mine up at Advance Auto for $10, Part No. 45868

If you replace it later, you will only lose a drop or two due to it being up top.
Yeah, I just ordered the Gates one off of Amazon for $6.57. I'll have it on Thursday. I figure I'll do the coolant flush tonight (should have my Engine Ice delivered today) and then see how it goes....do the Thermostat once I get it. I also ordered the 15w-40 Rotella and the genuine Honda filters from Amazon as well. I want to get this guy all squared away with usual maintenance stuff so I feel okay riding it.

Warner

Thermostat:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Oil:

Oil Filters:

Old 07-01-2016, 09:54 AM

PS - The bike came with brand new Michelin Pilot Power tires on it....had 30 miles on them, so that's covered. He told me the chain and brakes were recently replaced, too.....not sure WHY with only 7k miles on it, but whatever....I'll take it.

Warner

Old 07-01-2016, 02:22 PM

I snipped this tang off because the Honda one didn't have it.
Then place the hole at the top like the factory one.
When you open it up you'll understand what I mean.

Attached Thumbnails Thermostat-4132clloc6l._sx425_.jpg  
Old 07-01-2016, 09:57 PM

I snipped this tang off because the Honda one didn't have it.
Then place the hole at the top like the factory one.
When you open it up you'll understand what I mean.
After draining, flushing, and refilling the cooling system with Engine Ice, the cooling system seems to be working PERFECTLY. Slow up and down movement of the needle, NEVER pegged like it was before the flush/fill. I rode it 40 miles, some highway, some in traffic, some low speed residential. All good. I think I just needed a flush and fill....the stuff that came out didn't look great. Not horrible, but not great.

Warner

Quick Reply: Thermostat