900 & + Modifications This section is specifically for questions and advice pertaining to mods of the older models, 900 and up.

Flush mount running lights

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2006, 02:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flush mount running lights

I was inquiring about getting some flush mount turn signals for my bike while ordering some new Carbon Fiber levers. When the guy wrote me back he said they will work only as turn signals and not running lights. I believe that running lights are mandetory and was wondering if it is common to find flush mounts that can be used for both?
Please let me know what you guys have done.
Thanks a lot.
Jesse

Old 10-02-2006, 07:16 PM
Default RE: Flush mount running lights

most of the time they are only used for signals, only a select few can be used for both. Those one will have dual filament bulbs.

Old 10-02-2006, 10:17 PM

and three wires..

Old 01-09-2007, 10:57 PM

i have a 95 blade and the aftermarket flush mounts on the front of my bike work as both running lights and directionals....however they were on it when i bought it and i'm not sure of the manufacturer....so i guess i'm not much of a help...i'm gonna be removing them when i take the fairings off for paint...i'll try to remember to look on the back to see if theres a manufacturer printed.....good luck finding some.

Old 01-13-2007, 04:52 PM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if u want turn signals and running lights.. got to get a 3 wire and dual filament bulb flush mounts, most are 2 wires.. one for ground and one for a power source.. you pic the power source either a constent power for a running light.. or a flashing for a turn signal most people chose signal cause they have lights in front to be seen and such but, nice to have both, your desicion, lockhart phillips is always a popular choice for flush mounts

Old 01-17-2007, 12:07 AM

some one please correct me. i hooked up my new led blinkers in the front of my 929. i can use em as park lites and they blink if i hook up both hot wires to the one hot wire on teh blinkers, and use the single ground. is this ok? only hooked up for a bit. the intensity doesnt change, it just blinks w/ the turn signals on and stays lit w/ the park lites on.

Old 01-18-2007, 01:24 AM
Banned

well i know if it's not a dual filament bulb you will make it to hot and it will start to melt with leds it might work.. try it out, just keep an eye on them

Old 04-20-2007, 01:19 AM

I burned up the old flush mounts on my bike when I hooked the running light hot wire to the blinker filament and visa versa. The problem is that one filament burns brighter and hotter then the other so it looks like the light gets slightly brighter when it blinks instead of an off-on type of blink. It will work like an off-on blink if you hook both the blinker and running light hot to the same light, just be sure you use the running light filament (if you look at the bulb it's self, one is noticably thinner, this is the turn signal filament) becauase if you hook it up to the running light filament and it is on all the time, it WILL BURN THE PLASTIC AND POSSIBLY THE FIBERGLASS/PLASTIC!!! Learn from my mistake. Likewise, on the led subject, they burn at nearly room/ambient temp. They stay cool. You can hook both hots to the hot on the led and ground to the negative on the led. IMPORTANT: When dealing with MOST led's, POPLARITY IS IMPORTANT. If the light does not work correctly, reverse the polarity. Some, particularly, newer led's have a "smart" board that will automatically compensate for a backwards polarity. The reason that this senario works with a single filament/led is simply that one hot is hot when the bliner is off, this is the running light, when the blinker is turned on, the running light hot is no longer hot. Instead, the other hot, the blinker, is hot pulsating for the blinker effect. The reason the running light hot goes dead when the blinker is on is simple: heat. The blinker burns very warm as it is, muchless with the running light and the blinker light on at the same time, even if one is pulsating. Anyways, sorry for the novel. Good luck.

Old 06-28-2010, 07:33 PM
Default can this blinker/running light situation cause a short and blow ignition fuses?

could this blinker/running light cause a short and blow ignition fuses?

Old 06-30-2010, 06:01 PM

Dual filament or 3 wire signals are typically made by Lockhart Phillips, I just recently switched to a 2 wire and don't run the running lights. Haven't been harassed by LE thus far

Quick Reply: Flush mount running lights