900 & + Modifications This section is specifically for questions and advice pertaining to mods of the older models, 900 and up.

Experienced engine build help

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 02:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Experienced engine build help

Ok, I've been a member here for some time but not active. Some time back the bottom end started knocking so I stopped riding. Several factors have been distractions but I'm finally ready to get serious about building or rebuilding my engine.
I have a 97' Blade with a 95'(according to the numbers stamped on the block) 893cc. Not only do I have the bottom end issue I have two other issues, first one of the bungs for a timing cover bolt is split and seeps oil. Second while changing the spark plugs I discovered one of the plugs had been cross threaded.

So I've been exploring a few ideas, a completely new engine(919cc), which I'm torn because I'm scared to end up with another engine with issues.
I've so been kicking around having this one and its issues fixed and having it built with a 945cc kit or 997cc kit. A big bore rebuild is what I'm leaning towards(I'm in no huge rush).

Wanting to hear from ppl with experience in similar circumstances and exp with the 945 and 997 kits. I know the 997 requires re sleeving.

I had been and plan on ridding at every chance, and as daily transport when weather permits. I rode it 15k miles in just over a year before parking it. With this in mind is upping the cc's a bad idea?

Any and all exp is much appreciated. I know it's a lot to digest so thanks for helping if you can.

-Ed

Old 07-31-2013, 06:27 AM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Why not do both? Drop a replacement motor in a ride it while you take your time building the monster motor. If the build becomes a nightmare, you alway have a stock one to fall back on. If the build works out and is everything you intended it to be, sell your spare then.

Old 07-31-2013, 01:44 PM

Thanks for the quick reply!
A thought that briefly crossed my mind, Myanmar concern is dropping roughly 1k in a used rebuilt engine and it not be in 'as advertised' shape or it having issues other then eBay or Craigslist I've no idea where to source and engine and know I'm at least getting something dependable. It doesn't need to be a screamer just something I can count on to make the 50 mile round trip to work and some joy ridding on the weekend.

Any thoughts on good places to source said engine?

Old 07-31-2013, 01:56 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Do you have wrecking yards there for bikes?

You should be able to find a motor for less than 1k. You could probably find a wrecked bike with a good motor for less than that.

Parts are getting hard to find for these old bikes. Whatever you can find or salvage will go for top dollar on the market or be worth your while to have spares. I have boxes of spare parts for mine. They come in very handy...

Old 07-31-2013, 08:54 PM

I too have a selection of spare case covers, carbs etc
The closest salvage yard is roughly two hours away.

I guess I need to call and see if they have what I need and if I'm allowed to try and get it to fire up before buying. Thanks again for the replies!

It's my understanding it takes some working to get the speedo on a 97' to work with a 95 engine like I have, is this true? If so would it be hard to covert it back working with 97-99 engine?

Old 08-11-2013, 11:49 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

personally i would just go looking for another whole bike..
at the end of last season i found a guy selling his 900 with no tittle for like 500..
for that kind of money you cant go wrong...and like someone mentioned before , these parts are getting harder and harder to find.. if you just buy a whole bike for under a thousand, it would def be worth it and its not like you would be buying for its looks..

Old 09-25-2013, 08:45 AM
Default this is your best option

Originally Posted by jasonchristopher
personally i would just go looking for another whole bike..
at the end of last season i found a guy selling his 900 with no tittle for like 500..
for that kind of money you cant go wrong...and like someone mentioned before , these parts are getting harder and harder to find.. if you just buy a whole bike for under a thousand, it would def be worth it and its not like you would be buying for its looks..

I would find a whole bike you can see running, a slightly wrecked bike can be had for next to nothing and youll have plently of spare parts.i bought a slightly wrecked f4 for a couple hundred with a running motor!!

Old 07-27-2014, 02:11 PM

A little update.. Was able to score a 94 893cc via eBay for $450 with local pick up. Ended up buying the entire bike minus the seat for another $150. Ended up with $600 plus gas for a 17hr round trip. After a weekend in the garage I was able to complete the swap basically by myself in 2.5 days and have been ridding it daily for about a month now.

Thanks for all the input and would def recommend anyone doing a swap get the entire bike if possible, mainly the wiring and CDI. Had I not got the entire bike I'd have been calling the guy back and buying the CDI. The one for my 95 engine had different ignition timing than the donor 94! Either way it's swapped and running well!