600 Modifications This section is specifically for questions and advice pertaining to mods of the older 600 models.

problem choosing F4I or RR fairings swap

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 03:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default problem choosing F4I or RR fairings swap

K, so here's my problem guys. I have a 99 F4 and all my fairings are screwed, layed down by previous owner. I bought a set of airtech fiberglass 1 piece upper and lower, but ended up getting a race set with the headlight cut out all screwy and no mounting tabs for the headlight on the fairing. I have a line on a good deal for a set of 06 rr fairings custom painted, in perfect condition. So what i'm trying to figure out is do i want to spend a ton of money having someone fix and paint my stock fairings (which will be nice, but not quite look the way i'd like it to), do i pay somone to fix and mount the headlight in the fiberglass ones (which are in good condition other than the headlight hole), then get those painted (nicer, but still not exactly what i'd want), or do i go through what i can only imagine is a complete nightmare and try and get the 06 rr fairings on my bike which would also entail buying headlights, fairing stay, and other things i'm sure would be an issue. (but this would be RAD!!!).

or option D.... throw this thing off a cliff and start over....

i need some help, i'm sick of having a patched together bike sitting around and not getting any better.

Thanks
Mud

Old 04-30-2009, 09:23 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

id replace or repair your stock ones. Fiberglass fairings dont really hold up as well as factory abs. and the RR swap would be a pain. Hell if you have ever worked on a RR you would know why. They are a pita getting the ram air covers on off. and then there is the fact that the RR uses a tank cover/ separate tank which is clipped into the fairings where the F4 has its own tank and would be a major headache getting the RR tank to work or beating in the F4 tank for the RR cover to fit over it.

Old 05-05-2009, 01:33 PM

Thanks demented, what i ended up doing was re-glassing around the headlight of the 1 piece upper and prepping that and the lower for paint. it looks damn good for my first time with fiberglass, i'm used to metal, but still not top knotch. So i now subsequently have a 99 cbr f4 for sale cheap. Tryin to get some scratch together for a newer RR. I've only messed with those minimally, my main issue is that this is my 3rd older bike, and no matter what i do to them i'm never happy with the end product. And as far as fab work goes, with bikes my experience is minimal and all my tools are gone since i quit being a mechanic and got into electronics, so the conversions that i've seen on here are prolly a little out of my scope of expertise. So i figure its time to drop some real coin on a newer bike, something i'm happy with right away, and then take my time in doing any custom work i'd like to do to it. Thanks for the response though, now i just gotta find a screamin deal on craigslist for an RR.

Old 06-04-2009, 09:18 AM

mate **** everyone else, do what YOU think would look best, its your bike, YOU have to ride it, if you are smart about it, there probably isnt a great deal of monetary difference between the two options, especially if you onsell all the fairings you have now. Find the right people, and do what YOU think looks best, you will be happier in the long run

Old 06-04-2009, 11:15 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tigertim20
mate **** everyone else, do what YOU think would look best, its your bike, YOU have to ride it, if you are smart about it, there probably isnt a great deal of monetary difference between the two options, especially if you onsell all the fairings you have now. Find the right people, and do what YOU think looks best, you will be happier in the long run
hes right in a sense, but as demented said it will be a pita, and hes done conversions b4 so he knows. I had acquired all the parts to do a rr tail swap on my F4. but as I found out, the subframe off a rr mounts completely different and will not fit on a F4. Its also made of cast alum, so theres not much modding you can do to it. Can always mod the F4 subframe, but it will need alot of modding and fab work to work right as the fairing is slimmer than the F4 or F4i split seat tail are. the seats mount differently too. And the side fairings and tank lines dont match up, so theres another thing that will have to be modded or completely fab'd up to look right.

now the 01 - 03 F4i fairings, subframe, upper stay, etc will bolt right up. Its all a matter of how skilled you are and how much work and money you want to invest into it.

Old 08-16-2013, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by PlayfulGod

now the 01 - 03 F4i fairings, subframe, upper stay, etc will bolt right up. Its all a matter of how skilled you are and how much work and money you want to invest into it.
Not sure about language, so Im asking. What you ment here was that 01-03 fairing fits perfect on a 1999?? That would be a treat :-)

/ Lisa