600 Modifications This section is specifically for questions and advice pertaining to mods of the current 600 models.

Lowering the CBR600RR

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2005, 09:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lowering the CBR600RR

I do not know how many of you are challenged with height but I am. I just wanted to let the other short people know that I have been riding and racing with a lowering link on my bike for a year now and think it really helps. I was confused at first about whether or not it would negatively effect the handling characteristics. However, I tried it anyway. Much to my surprise I actually like the way it handles better now with the link installed. I has two adjustments, a 1" and a 3" setting. I have tried both. Maybe it is the lowering of the center of gravity but I find that it turns in better and holds a full lean more steady. I did tighten up my preload on the rear shock to almost the tightest setting. If anyone is thinking about doing this I think you should. Shoot me a PM if you have any questions.

Old 12-21-2005, 08:05 AM
Retired Administrator
Default RE: Lowering the CBR600RR

Thanks for looking out for the members here... good to offer advice and tech tips.

Old 12-23-2005, 05:08 PM
L8X

REPOST. I still say no to lowering. IMO it ruins the bikes performance and it just looks plain bad if nothing else. plus, bikes are getting shorter nowadays anyways. example: 05-06 gsxr100s. and next year the new gsxr600s and 750s will be lower too.
Plus, my bud, who is only like 5'-5'2" rides a r1 and he's an excellent rider! im always suprised at how he hops on and off his bike (actually he slides on and off the bike) its wierd. anyways, NOnonono on lowering! no offense just my humble opinion.

Old 12-23-2005, 10:24 PM

I guess it would all depend on how you felt on the bike. I know on my 06 feet sit flat on the ground and I'm 5' 10' not the tallest person. Everyone has their own opinion

Old 02-12-2006, 03:39 PM

the PROBLEM I see here, is, for instance, my GIRL has been riding our 05 600 rr. I just picked up my 06 gixxer 1k. (sorry, still love honda, but my *** doesn't hurt anymore after an hour of riding!!!) Anyways, I loved riding the rr, but I'm taller than her. She's 5'8 or so, but not much of an inseem. Not to mention a PETITE little thing. The problem she had, was when she was stopping, if in oil or anything, she'd almost fall over EVERY time. She was on her VERY tip toes. sorry, but you HAVE GOT to have control even while stopped. I threw the links on it, and she LOVES it now. It won't wheelie nearly as easy, but I still ride it every once in a while. and I can't tell that much difference. Only that it handles JUST a tad better!!! I myself will never lower a bike just for the LOOK of it. but I DO believe in doing so if NEEDED!!!!!

Old 02-18-2006, 07:34 PM

I hate to admit it, but I'm also alittle vertically challenged. I was at my tip toes, when coming to a stop. I just didn't feel in control of the bike. I had my Bike lowered and now I feel in control and I don't notice the difference in performance. The peace of mind was worth it.[8D]

Old 02-19-2006, 04:06 AM

cmon now, change in performance? negatively affecting handling? Most of us here (including myself) are all street riders, going down that low with the bike where the performance issue (i am implying to heavy turns with great lean) even starts to take affect is like asking for shredded skin and 1000's in damage. for the most part, if the bike stays on the streets and is used for commuting, with the occassional thrill here and there, then lowing a bike shouldnt even be an issue, especially if you can hardly keep it up in the first place.

other note, post pix of your the lowered bikes if available. i'd like to cumpare.

Old 02-24-2006, 11:44 PM

I lowered my 03 CBRF4i by 2" but now my bike looked like its almost standing straight on a kickstand. Is there a shorter kickstand available in the market?

Old 02-26-2006, 01:13 AM

is there a better brand out there and where did you get yours at?

Old 02-28-2006, 03:45 PM

ORIGINAL: kash

I lowered my 03 CBRF4i by 2" but now my bike looked like its almost standing straight on a kickstand. Is there a shorter kickstand available in the market?

When I recently lowered my new 2006 CBR 600rr 1", what I did was then cut the original kickstand down 1/2" because I noticed the bike was sitting more straight up also. Its just not good to leave it that way, as wind could even blow it over.

Quick Reply: Lowering the CBR600RR