1000F Videos Post up your 1000F related vids here ...

What is that noise?

Old 08-02-2010, 08:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is that noise?

Wanted to clean the wheels yesterday and after I started it the engine made this terrible noise. I am not sure what it is. See if you can help me find it.
Thanks
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56wmOXDjjZY

Old 08-02-2010, 09:59 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

cam chain

Old 08-03-2010, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by raiden
cam chain
Thanks for watching.
I would like to point out that the cam chain is new. This season it has less then 3000 miles on it. There was never a hint of noise before Sunday either. Do you still belive it is the cam chain?

Old 08-03-2010, 10:18 PM

it sound like cam chain is loose.

Old 08-04-2010, 12:38 AM
Banned

I wish you all the best in working out what that noise in mate. Geez it sounds bad thats for sure. Sounds more than a cam chain though ? Mine has the regular cam chain rattle but sounds nothing like that does. What's the oil level like in the engine ?? Sounds like valve rattle a bit imo.

Old 08-04-2010, 05:38 AM
Ride of the Year ... Just Ask The Boys

Have you tried adjusting the crankshaft balancer?

I feel for you, it does not sound good.

Aussie johnno

Old 08-04-2010, 10:28 PM
Talking

Originally Posted by Bordo
I wish you all the best in working out what that noise in mate. Geez it sounds bad thats for sure. Sounds more than a cam chain though ? Mine has the regular cam chain rattle but sounds nothing like that does. What's the oil level like in the engine ?? Sounds like valve rattle a bit imo.
sounds like zero oil..

Old 08-05-2010, 02:31 AM

3v1lj03. That sucks mate. What I really don't get is why it would suddenly start to do this when you started it. Most sudden nasty noises come after a good thrashing (racing a hotted up car down the M3 fo instance) or running badly low on oil (done that too).

The only two thing I can think of are the cam chain tensioner not working, but then I'd expect some clatter even when cranking.

The other one will make me sound like a **** but I thought it so I'll say it; Could the starter motor gear be failing to disengage somehow? I can't help thinking it sounded like gears clashing/ ringing together or something.

You might get more listeners and ideas posting in the main section of our forum too mate. Most of the inmates will see it straight away then. Good luck, I'll keep thinking and have another listen later.

Old 08-05-2010, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by davethepom
3v1lj03. That sucks mate. What I really don't get is why it would suddenly start to do this when you started it. Most sudden nasty noises come after a good thrashing (racing a hotted up car down the M3 fo instance) or running badly low on oil (done that too).

The only two thing I can think of are the cam chain tensioner not working, but then I'd expect some clatter even when cranking.

The other one will make me sound like a **** but I thought it so I'll say it; Could the starter motor gear be failing to disengage somehow? I can't help thinking it sounded like gears clashing/ ringing together or something.

You might get more listeners and ideas posting in the main section of our forum too mate. Most of the inmates will see it straight away then. Good luck, I'll keep thinking and have another listen later.

Thanks for listing guys! The oil level is perfect. I agree is is strange for it to start up making the noise. I have had some valve train noise in the past due to wear on the cam and it doesn't sound like this noise.(still could be valve train though) I pulled the valve cover and checked the cams and valves. They look good checked to see if the cam chain had somehow failed at less than 5K miles it seems good. IDK it's got me stumped it's not like anything I have heard before.
Maybe I should put it back together and run it till it blows. I would need ear plugs for sure.

Old 08-05-2010, 09:29 AM

Is there a way to prime the cam chain tensioner without taking the chain and tensioner out? Just thinking if it is the tensioner maybe... I know where I can get a 2004 1000rr engine might be fun!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What is that noise?