1000F Videos Post up your 1000F related vids here ...

Knock Knock...

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 04:37 PM
Senior Member & tensioner mod inventor ROTM WINNER FEB 2013
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CBRclassic
No chit Henry .... mate , we need a few stills of the buggers ... I would like to see the outer surfaces
yu may have been getting a bit of shell chatter ...? that's all that will cause the outer surfaces to wear, but the clearances must be a fair way out to allow that to happen ...

Since you left the head on ...may I ask if the upper shells were easy to get out with the crank still in ...?
and no, I have never gone my lower bearings on my CBR ...lol
Sorry Steve, nearly missed out replying to your questions.
It's impossible to know exactly what the wear is on the shells without super accurate measuring equipment (which I don't have) I can measure the crank pins to 0.005 with my micrometer and they checked out spot on all the way round so no wear detectable on the crank its self.
My Dad took some pictures of the shells but I don't have them with me this evening otherwise Id put em up now. It'll have to wait till I come back.
I think the clearance on the rod which appears to have had the wrong shells installed are large enough to have been negligible, or at least inaudible at first (and I have no idea if these have been put in at some time after the bike was new or Honda from new) but now they've worn in they're starting to show the over generous clearance. (My theory)
Like I said I can't see or feel anything else that's could be wrong.
Yes I got the top shells out easily with the crank still in place. Simply push the piston down and the shell slides out round the crank pin.

OK mate, hope the move is going well for you. Lookin forward to seeing the new ranch real soon.

Old 03-29-2010, 04:38 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll have to tell you that the venerable Trout PM'd me and thought you were both on heavy drugs. He also thought the whole thing was a figment of my imagination. Now I just don't know any more.
HAHA!! While this is all true, I remember mentioning that it sounded like rod bearings to me...

But seriously, I think Steve is right that a phantom noise can really get the best of you. (and no, I didn't say anyone was on drugs.... or even that I thought they were wrong. I did say that Henry was hearing things, tho... lol)
I'm hoping and praying to the Honda gods that it's just a matter of shells, but I've seen some goofy chit, too.
I wish I still had a pic of a set of bearings I pulled out of a D16 motor. Wow. Nothing but razor sharp shreds. lol...

Old 03-29-2010, 06:29 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

WATCH out for that Sangria Henry it'll tear your insides out. Have a great holiday in
Espania ! as for Trout ..... we all know he's the Mary Jane expert

Old 04-08-2010, 04:53 PM

bAck from Espania, a fleeting glimpse of France as we dashed across the landscape..... Excellent! 2500 miles of fun and great map reading from Sarah. Also caught some good rays in Barcelona. What a great city. We're going back ASAP.

Now back to the engine.
I got her back on the road today. I'm afraid Steve's prophecy came true. The noise is still there but it's slightly changed. More pronounced from the top end.
Yes I'm gutted but I was prepared to be disappointed so not about to throw myself off Beachy head.
On my first ride out this afternoon I felt that the engine is perceivably tighter, crisper with a different exhaust note. There's a very subtle difference to the way she feels. Bearing in mind that I've got a running in period now I've taken it up to 5K RPM and throughout the rev range it just feels nicer. Hard to put into words but I had the grin on; we all know the one!
So next stop, top end. Sounds really like a cam shaft now. Dad and I are both now convinced it's top end.
I've had the good fortune of picking up a low mileage engine for almost **** all so will do a head swap at my next opportunity.
Rome wasn't built in a day, and other such clichés, for the sake of sanity!

Thanks for the wings Sprock. They came in bloody handy last week avoiding French speed cameras.... he he...... don't ya just love a good road trip?

Old 04-09-2010, 12:45 AM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Oh Oh , classic has entered the twilight zone !

Will he ever emerge back into civilization in this decade ?????

NUff said ....reckon we'll be seeing hiz sheepish gnarly **** back
in here by say maybe Thursday of next week when the Aussie
Gods of Satellite connectivity decide to issue him a honking big
arsed satellite dish to attach to the roof of his new diggs on the
less populated side of Melbourne .............baaaa baaaaaaaaaa

Steve we'll have to Skype sync a cold one to toast yer new diggs man !

Note to self ........bring booooze to work

Old 04-13-2010, 05:27 PM

DO INTERFLORA DELIVER BEER?
Note to self. Must send alcoholic flower arrangement to Oz.

Back on thread.... 800 glorious miles under wheels since last post a couple of weeks ago.
Just acheived my first <200 mile tank. Fuel mileage has gone up nicely. A big plus in these overinflated times we find ourselves in.
Just that damned tap, tap, tap. Driving me fvucking mad.

Old 04-18-2010, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by CBRclassic
LOL
Not far wrong though with the twilight zone !crack ... getting used to solar power... and bloody 40 kangaroos hopping past the rear of the house every morning is taking some getting used too.... but the bourbon is still helping ...LOL

Thanks Henrry....but bourbon will do nicely mate ....lol
Glad to hear that you are still riding her too ... that knock knock tap thing .....hmmmm?? something to investigate next winter I recon Henrry..
No way mate! My knock knock tap thing is about as annoying as your 40 roos going past your back door every morning and it's not something I'm even prepared to get used to. I'm giving myself a month to get the head off my second engine, give it a good recon and swap it over.
I just want to hear the sound of my exhausts, not a frigging tap dancing troop between my legs, even if they were all female.
Hop hop....... tap tap....... he he..... glad you're settling in mate.

Quick Reply: Knock Knock...